Backup Plan

It was unable to contain a scream of rage as it saw the servitor demon dissolve into a cloud of reeking steam . Fully aware that mundane human weapons could not have damaged the creature badly enough to force it back to their native realm , it realized that the missile had borne some form of enchantment . With this thought in mind , it moved rapidly away from the house , knowing that they were unlikely to pursue , since their movement seemed to be hindered by the cold , white powder .

      The demon moved rapidly through the trees , attempting to organize it's thoughts as it ran . It could abandon its pursuit of this particular group of humans , and move on to easier prey , but it instinctively balked at the idea . "No !" , it thought to itself . "They have had the effrontery to attempt to deny me sustenance , and they have caused me pain . Whether I feed upon them or no , they will surely perish . Not this night , perhaps , but soon ."

      Stopping near the abandoned house , it considered the options available to it . Go back , and attempt to attack the dwelling alone , thus risking another imprisonment , or even banishment . Or , seek out more animals to feed upon , and hope to increase its strength enough to summon a more powerful servant the next time . Mulling for a few moments , it opted for the latter ; even though the animals were far from being its preferred prey , they were preferable to continued hunger and powerlessness .

      Turning in the opposite direction , the demon bounded through the snow , looking for signs of life . After a time , it spotted a small point of light , and moved towards it . When it drew closer , it recognized the outline of a building , with small points of light showing through the openings . The silhouette of a human came into view , covering itself in the heavy garments they found necessary to withstand the cold , and it repressed an enthusiastic squeal , moving back into the shadows at the side of the building , awaiting the chance to feed .

      But , as it watched the human move toward the building where the animals were kept , and observed the man's sheer size , and apparent physical power , it began to reconsider , developing what the remnant's of its host's consciousness thought of as a "backup plan". 

      "Maybe this one will suffice ." , the demon thought . "Perhaps this will be my new form . With this one , I should have no difficulties destroying the others ."

                                  *******************************************************

      "But Dad , I'm supposed to do this myself , he's my project !" , Katie Logan protested . "It's not like the barn is miles away ."

      "No , darlin' , I know it's not , but I'm not gonna take a chance on you hurtin' that knee again . You're just starting to get around good after the surgery , and I don't think either of us wants to have to repeat the process ." , Vance Logan replied . "And I'm pretty sure you don't have to tell the 4H people that I actually fed your calf for you one time . Besides , I want to go up into the loft and see if there are any more lanterns stashed up there . So you just stay here with Gwen , and I'll be back in a jiff , all right ?"

      Katie grudgingly agreed , and Vance left the house . She stood at the window for a minute , watching him force his way through the drifts , then turned and walked down the hall towards the bedrooms . Peeking around the doorframe into one of the rooms , she looked at the woman reading in the bed , and inquired , "How ya feeling , Gwen ? Do you need anything ?"

      The visibly pregnant young woman glanced up at her young sister - in -law and said , "Not right this minute , thanks . I'm just hoping that the power comes back soon , so I can Skype with Josh again . I just wish he was gonna be here when the baby comes ."