Chapter 1: The Coffee Guy

My name is Brooklyn Connors. I am 24 years old and am studying my final year of Law in NYU. I grew up in Australia, but moved here after my final year of school with my best friend Georgia. She is studying Graphic Design. Since moving here I have made lots of new friends at uni, and even have a boyfriend, James. Georgia and I are renting a shoebox sized apartment in Queens, which I think is a terrible idea.

"I was eye-raped by some creep coming home earlier,"I told her.

"Take a look at yourself. You would have been eye-raped in Manhattan. Just by rich business men instead."

"Well, I still think living here is a bad idea. Can't we move anywhere else?" I begged.

"When you find some cash, then sure. This place is cheap, and we're getting a discount because my brother knows the landlord." Georgia replied.

I grumbled and stomped off to the room we shared to get my bag. I was not spending my Saturday here. There was only one thing that would make me feel better: shopping in Manhattan.

---

It had not been a successful shopping trip. After trying on clothes that cost three times my weekly salary, I headed to Bluebird Cafe, a gorgeous place I had discovered last year. It was quiet, not too pricy and made amazing lattes.

I ducked inside and made my way to the counter, my stomach making noises. I better get a muffin too. Ashley was working there, which was great; she was in my uni class.

'Hey Brooklyn! How are you?' she grinned. I swear she is always happy.

'Not bad,' I replied, ' But I'll be feeling much better after one of your caramel lattes and a choc-chip muffin.'

'Coming right up,' she said, and I handed her a $10 bill. I turned around to find a seat and walked straight into the guy queueing up behind me, spilling his coffee all over his shirt and almost knocking him over.

Shit. I reached down to help him up but he muttered an 'it's ok' and pulled himself up.

"I'm really sorry," I apologised, "I have zero sense of awareness and always end up bumping into people."

When he stood up I got a proper look at him. He looked around my age, maybe a few years older, and he wore sunglasses and had dark brown hair. He was quite attractive and oddly familiar. I decided that I would nickname him coffee-guy.

"You did kind of wreck my new shirt," coffee-guy sighed.

"I'll get you a new one." I immediately responded. I would hate to be the one walking around with coffee soaked through my shirt.

"It doesn't matter, I didn't really like it much anyway," he said.

"Please," I said, "I insist."

He shook his head. Coffee-guy wasn't giving in anytime soon. I picked up the half empty cup that was on the ground and looked at his order.

"Ashley! Could you please get me another one of these?" I asked sweetly, before smirking at coffee-guy. "At least let me get you another coffee."

He rolled his eyes, "Do I have a choice?"

"No not really," I stated, as we stood there awkardly, waiting for our coffees.

"I'm Brooklyn," I said to break the silence, "Brooklyn Connors."

He smiled, "It was definitely interesting to meet you Brooklyn Connors."

I waited for a few seconds but he didn't say anything else. "What's your name?" I asked.

"It doesn't matter," he muttered.

That was weird. As soon as our coffees were made and I had my muffin I sat down at a table, only to be followed by coffee-guy. I mean, I didn't mind, but there was still something bugging me about this guy. I definitely knew him from somewhere.

"So," he started, "Tell me about yourself. I can tell your not a local."

"I'm from Australia. I lived in Melbourne all my life up until I finished school. My mum's Aussie but dad's American though; he's from Pennsylvania."

"Really? I'm from there too!" he exclaimed, a surprised look on his face. I raised my eyebrows as a signal for him to continue, but he stopped, so I carried on talking. I'm a bit of a chatterbox.

"I live in a tiny apartment in Queens, with my friend Georgia. I'm also in my final year of studying law at NYU."

"I went to NYU a few years back. Do you like it?" coffee-guy asked. So he was older than me.

"I like the university. Law's interesting I guess. But it's not what I really want to do."

"What is it you want to do then?" his eyes were wide, as if to absorb all the information I was giving. Why was I telling everything to coffee-guy? I'd only just met him.

"Ever since I was little I've wanted to be an actress. But it's stupid, I mean, who actually makes it in the business?"

Coffee-guy laughed and I frowned. Maybe he wasn't as approachable as I thought. When he saw my face he stopped laughing and looked me in the eye.

"If that's what you want to do with your life, then go for it. You can still study law at the same time, only as a back-up."

Very true. Maybe I should look into getting myself an agent. That's if I could even afford it. I watched coffee-guy check his watch.

"I'm really sorry, but I have to go. I have to get another shirt and be somewhere in an hour. I'd love to see you again though." he suggested, "Here's my number."

He scribbled his number on a piece of paper and handed it to me. Then he waved goodbye and walked out, leaving me sipping my latte by myself. I looked out the window in the cafe and watched him leave. He'd only taken a few steps when two teenage girls walked up to him. That was strange. They took a photo with him before walking away, giggling excitedly.

That was when I looked at the piece of paper he'd given me. On it was written:

555-0247 Call me. Miles Teller :)

Oh My God. I had just doused Miles Teller in coffee, wrecked his shirt, told him my life story and now I had his number. How did I not realise it was him? I've seen loads of his movies, but he looks way be- different in real life. No wonder he didn't take those sunglasses off. And no wonder he laughed when I said I wanted to become an actress. My cheeks burned red as I pocketed the little scrap of paper.

I didn't tell him I had a boyfriend. It's not like anything would happen between us anway, because he's famous. And I am not. But who cares; I just met Miles freakin' Teller!

I left the restaurant with a spring in my step, and a smile on my face. Hopefully that wouldn't be the last time I was seeing him.

Question: What is your favourite type of coffee? Mine is a caramel macchiato.

twintales x

VOTE COMMENT FOLLOW