Chapter 17: All Botched Up

Keleigh stood there with her arms folded and her eyes narrowed while Miles and I took a step back from each other.

“Calm down Kel, it’s not what it looks like,” Miles started.

“Oh, really?” she mocked, “I’d like to know what exactly it is then.”

“Well…” he continued awkwardly.

“Spit it out Miles, I am your girlfriend. I deserve to know the truth.”

We exchanged a look. It wouldn’t be right to keep leading her on.

“Okay,” he sighed, “Do you remember when I first asked you out?”

She nodded curtly and he continued, “It wasn’t my idea. It was my publicist.”

Tears sprang to her eyes and she whimpered, “So you don’t like me at all?”

“No! I do like you. Just… not in that way,” he came forward to give her a hug but she pushed him away and stalked back to the wall, trying to get as much distance from him as possible.

“Don’t touch me,” she snapped, “Whatever, I was going to break up with you tonight away.”

She stuck her nose up and I would have rolled my eyes if I hadn’t felt so sorry for her right now.

“And I still think you’re a massive bitch,” she growled at me.

And there goes those sorry feelings. There was a long silence.

“Wait, I’m confused. I thought you were dating Zac,” she accused, coming to the realisation that she wasn’t the only one being played here. Not that I was playing anyone. Just, ugh, you know what I mean.

“Uh, yeah I am,” I confirmed.

A smile played on her lips, “But you two were about to kiss.”

“No we weren’t!” we both denied.

“How long has this been going on?” she smirked, realising she had all the power.

“It hasn’t!” Miles argued.

“I think we both know you’re lying right now.”

I looked at Miles, hoping we would communicate but it was too hard with her standing there. He must have thought the same because he said, “Can you give us two minutes?”

“So you can ‘get it on’ in the kitchen? I don’t think so,” she scoffed and I choked at the thought. What the hell was wrong with her? She hadn’t even seen us kissing. We had no leverage here though which made it difficult for me to get away with mean-spirited comments.

“I’ve been on one date with Zac. One,” I emphasised.

“He still said you were dating. He must like you a—” Keleigh started, before Miles cut her off.

“Stop with the shit Keleigh. Zac and Brooklyn’s relationship is none of your business so just drop it. I get that you’re angry that I lied to you. I’m really sorry. Feel free to slap me or whatever you want to do. Just don’t take it out on Brooke; none of this is her fault.”

And with that, Keleigh took three steps forward and slapped Miles in the face. I stood staring with a shocked expression on my face. I didn’t expect her to do it, and neither did Miles by the look of it. A red handprint stood out on his face.

Keleigh turned to me, “This isn’t over bitch. You are going to do what I say from now on. Ignore me and the whole world will know you’re a worthless slut.”

Even though I knew her words were designed to burn me and I should brush them off, a small part of me felt incredibly guilty. I knew I obviously wasn’t a slut, I wasn’t official with Zac and technically there was nothing wrong with what I did. But at the same time it could easily destroy Zac and Miles’ friendship and Zac might end up hating me.

‘You should feel guilty. You can’t go out with a guy and then kiss one of his best friends. It’s a really bitchy thing to do!’ said the sing-song voice in my head. Stupid conscience.

It then hit me how much hate I would get if this got out. Zac had over 9 million followers on twitter and they would rip me apart like bloodhounds.

“Please Keleigh, don’t do this,” I mumbled.

“I’ll do what I god-damn want to do,” she sneered, “See you soon.”

She let out an evil laugh and slammed the door.

“Dude, I’m screwed,” I confessed to Miles as the door swung open.

Thank god the others had gone out to get some cleaning supplies.

“What was that?” Mike exclaimed. He must have witnessed Keleigh’s dramatic storm-out.

“You certainly botched something up mate,” Theo chuckled, patting Miles on the back.

“Did you just say botched?” I teased, before bursting into a fit of giggles.

Theo, of course, had to get all defensive about it, “I’m sorry that I’m British and I use British words sometimes. It means screwed.”

“I know what it means, I’m not stupid. It’s just funny to hear someone say it,” I frowned.

“I didn’t know what it meant,” said Mike, and the Shai and Miles agreed.

“And the stereotype for dumb Americans is back!” I exclaimed, giving Theo a high-five and receiving dirty looks from the others.

“But what actually did just happen?” Shai asked, her face touched with concern, “You didn’t tell her everything, right?”

“I figured it was better to tell her sooner rather than later,” Miles said, scratching the back of his neck, “My publisher wanted things to last a little longer but I felt bad lying to her and she is really annoying.”

“I’m back!” yelled an excited voice from the other room, “Guys, when is—Oh Brooklyn, you’re still here!”

---

I left the penthouse just after midnight, and usually I would have been a little scared on my way home. This week was an exception though, because Keleigh was stuck in my mind. I was more terrified of what she was going to do than any rapist. Okay, that was a little bit of an exaggeration, but still!

I had two options left: Come clean to Zac, or not say anything and have Keleigh on my back the whole time.

My fears were confirmed when I got back to my apartment. Georgia must have been asleep and not heard anything. Drawn on the door with a permanent black marker was this:

I OWN YOU, BITCH

-K

And that’s when I broke down.

Author’s Note

Took a while, but I think I’m happy with this chapter. The first scene dragged on a bit but it was needed. Sorry, the swearing is getting a lot more prominent than the first chapters but it is PG-13. (meaning you shouldn't read it if you under 8 or have a problem with swearing.)

And btw you guys are AMAZEBALLS. I nearly have 10k reads. Like, what even?! :D

Love you to the moon & back,

twintales  xxxxxxx