Chapter 18: Loud and Clear

Chapter 18: Loud and Clear [Not Edited]

"So," Zac started, "I've been thinking."

I was sick. I was missing a (probably really important) lecture, but every time I stood up I felt really dizzy and collapsing on the subway on the way to uni didn't seem like a brilliant idea. Instead, I spent my Wednesday watching Netflix and eating cookies. I was supposed to have another date with Zac tonight but I had texted him to cancel and he had called me on his lunch break.

"About what?" I asked.

"Us."

He waited for a response but I didn’t say anything because I was:

a) A tad nervous, because his tone implied a variety of negative outcomes

b) Midway through eating a cookie.

“Do you care if people know? Like, other than our friends?” he asked.

That wasn’t what I was expecting, “Um, it’s really up to you. It’s your personal life everyone cares about. But why do you ask now?”

“So I’m doing an interview tonight and one of the questions they’re going to ask me is if I’m in any kind of relationship and I’m not really sure how I should respond. Are we together?” Zac asked cautiously.

“Um…uh, I do-,” I rambled nervously.

“Will you be my girlfriend, Brooklyn Rose Connors?”

---

“Oh my god!” Georgia squealed, pulling me into a hug, “It’s official. You are the girlfriend of ZAC EFRON. Like, what even?!”

“Calm down George, you sound like a teenager,” I rolled my eyes, before a grin spread across my face, “But it is pretty exciting!”

She gave me a stern look, “But this means you have to stop messing around with Miles. Whatever is going on between the two of you needs to stop right now.”

Okay, so maybe I left out the part about when I got home. When I saw the writing on the door I had a little bit of a meltdown. How did that psycho know where I live? Georgia comforted me and I told her everything. She wasn’t happy about what could have happened with Miles if Keleigh hadn’t walked in at that moment. We managed to scrub the marker of the wall but we agreed we couldn’t go to the police because then she would have told Zac. Fortunately, Keleigh hadn’t contacted me since ‘the incident’.

“I’m sorry,” I apologised, “It was an accident. It was just a spur of the moment kind of thing.”

“A spur of the moment thing that happened twice,” Georgia reminded me, “And it’s not me who you should be apologising to.”

My shoulders slumped, “I know, I know.”

“By the way, did you tell Miles about the thing Keleigh did?” she asked.

“No way! He would want me to go to the police straight away,” I said.

“Suit yourself,” she replied, “But if you keep secrets they’re going to catch up to you.”

---

It was 7pm and Georgia had left for an art exhibition. Shai, Miles and Zac said they were going to come over soon and we could chill and watch some movies. Shai had never seen the apartment and Miles had never seen inside of it so I thought I’d clean it up a bit before they came. I slipped out of my pyjamas and into leggings and an oversized sweater.

The doorbell rang and I went to get it, happy to finally have some company.

“Hey guys,” I beamed, as I opened the door. I could see Shai and Miles but Zac wasn’t there.

“Hey Brooklyn,” Shai smiled back, “Sorry to give you bad news but Zac had a family emergency and couldn’t make it.”

“Oh,” I frowned, concerned, “Is everything okay?”

She shrugged, “That’s all he said before he left - and oh my god why didn’t you call me when Zac asked you to be his girlfriend?! I had to find out on national TV with a million other people!”

“I didn’t know it was airing today!” I yelled, “Why did no-one tell me?”

“It’s live TV, Brooke,” Miles chuckled, speaking for the first time, “When did you think it was going to be on?”

“How come he gets to call you Brooke?” Shai pouted, crossing her arms.

“It sounds weird when you do it,” I told her, “But anyway, would you like a grand tour?”

---

We ended up watching Valentine’s Day after Shai’s pestering (“You’ve been watching what you want all day!” was her reasoning) but it actually wasn’t a bad movie. I don’t even think Miles minded it that much. At least, his eyes were glued to the screen when I looked at over at him a couple of times.

We ordered Chinese and sat around the small living room eating it out of boxes. Shai and I chattered away but Miles sat there quietly, wolfing down his food. I swear that guys have bottomless stomachs.

It was good to not be alone all evening (like I was all day) and just after it hit 10pm we got around to watching the interview with Zac in it, publicly announcing me as his girlfriend. Most of the interview was pretty basic, so I’ll skip to the exciting part.

“So Zac,” the interviewer began, “There have been a few rumours we’d like to clear up. Are you seeing anybody at the moment?”

“Actually I am,” he grinned at the camera, “I have a girlfriend, and her name is Brooklyn. We just became official quite recently.”

“Can you tell us a bit about her?” the interviewer asked earnestly.

“Okay. She’s 24 and studying law at NYU. I don’t want to invade her privacy or whatever but if you want you can find her on twitter @brooklyn_connors (A/N – not real).”

“She sounds great Zac! Just like the new role you just landed! Tell us—,”

---

After watching the interview (and another bag of popcorn) Shai and Miles left, leaving me to wonder what happened to Zac. I had no missed calls or texts, so I decided to just call him myself. He picked up on the last ring.

“Hey Brooklyn! Sorry I haven’t called I’ve been kind of busy,” he apologised.

“Yeah, Shai told me you had a family emergency, what was that about?” I asked, “Is everyone okay?”

“I guess. My family said it was important so I’m in California at their house.”

“Woah! Did you just jump on a plane straight away?!” I exclaimed.

“Something like that,” he chuckled, “Anyway, they were kind of pissed at me.”

“Why?” I puzzled.

“They were annoyed that they saw that interview where I mentioned you before I had even introduced you to them. And now they want to meet you.”

Question: What’s your favourite kind of cookie? Mine is the half-dipped chocolate chip cookie you get at Mrs Fields!

twintales x

VOTE COMMENT FOLLOW