Chapter 8: The Phone Call

Chapter 8: The Phone Call [Not Edited]

I felt relieved as Georgia, Michelle and I walked home that night. I was so happy me and Miles were back to being friends. Exhaustion was taking over though, because my room-mates would not stop bombarding me with questions.

"When did you meet?"

"How long have you kept this from us?"

"Are you going out?"

"Wait, I thought you were still dating James? What happened to that?"

My head hurt and by the time we got back I was ready to throw myself into bed, but Georgia and Michelle had other ideas. Michelle was leaving tomorrow evening and wanted all the juicy gossip before she left. I gave them a basic rundown, but it started to become awkward when they asked questions about why Miles needed to apologise. In the end, I decided to tell them because they weren't going to leave me alone until I had, and I didn't want to lie to them anymore.

"He asked me out, but I said no because I'm dating James. Happy now?" I asked groggily, "Can I go to bed?"

Georgia and Michelle looked at me, gobsmacked. This is what happened:

Michelle & Georgia: Oh my god!

Georgia: Well done, it must have been hard rejecting Miles Teller.

Michelle: Why would you reject him? What is wrong with you, you totally should have said yes!

Georgia: Michelle, she can't date Miles and James at the same time. That is totally out of line.

Michelle: Why not just dump James then? He's not even that good.

Me: James is the sweetest guy ever, I'm NOT dumping him for someone I just met less than two weeks ago!

Michelle: Technically, you've known Miles longer than James, we've been watching his movies forever!

Georgia: Stop being a bad influence Mich.

Me: Maybe you would have dumped James, but I have more class than that Michelle.

Me: [angrily storms off to room].

---

I lay in my bed early next morning flipping through the pages of VOGUE. Fashion was something that could take my mind off things. I was still angry at Michelle for what she had said last night though. I heard my bedroom door being knocked on so I yelled out "Come in!"

Michelle walked in with a guilty look on her face. She sat down on the corner of my bed and slumped her shoulders. I just narrowed my eyes at her.

"What do you want?" I hissed, my words laced with venom.

"I just came to apologise," she mumbled, "I shouldn't of said mean things about James. He's actually really nice and probably the best boyfriend you've had."

"Probably? We've been together for 2 years. And that's 5 times as long as you have ever been with yours," I sneered. Wow, my evil side was more malicious than I'd originally thought.

Michelle looked hurt at this comment, but ploughed on with her obviously rehearsed speech. I bet Georgia had put her up to it.

"Anyway, I was just looking at it from my perspective. You're right, I haven't had many long-term relationships, and you know how much I love Miles. I guess I was just upset because you had this oppurtunity that I would have jumped at, but you rejected him." Michelle whispered sadly.

Now I felt bad. I stayed silent until she continued.

"It's still early and I don't leave till 7. Can we please just have a fun today together so we'll leave on a good note?" she begged with a small, sad, smile.

I pulled her into a hug. She had said some pretty terrible things, but we've all done things we regret.

"Now that that's sorted, lets go get some ice-cream," I smiled, "We've still got 9 hours till you leave."

---

We had an awesome day, which started with ice-cream, included re-watching That Awkward Moment at cinemas (which was hilarious, especially all the Miles & Zac scenes), and ended with a trip to Greg's, one of our favourite restaurants.

I was loving my steak & chips, and was quite diappointed when we looked at the time and saw that Michelle had to leave soon. We paid for dinner and left quickly, before waving good-bye to Michelle as we watched her train leave the station.

One hour later, Georgia and I were back at home, stuck in an intense game of Snap. Call it a kids game if you will, but Georgia and I were pros. As I beat her 3-1 she sighed.

"What's wrong Georgia?" I asked, concerned. I could tell this wasn't snap-related angst.

"It's Troy," she said, "He's been acting really weird lately. He used to text me constantly, but now I'm lucky if he texts me once a day. And when he took me out for dinner last week he acted differently. I just can't put my finger on it."

I thought for a moment before responding. "Well you've been together for what, 6 months now? The initial buzz is over. You still like him though, don't you?"

"I don't know. There's this g-" she started before she was interrupted.

"After we go to the bathroom, can we smoke a cigarette I really need one. But first, LET ME TAKE A SEL"

I picked up my phone and frowned at Georgia. I really needed to change that dreadful ringtone.

"Hi this is Brooklyn Connors, how can I help you?" I said in a bored voice. I'd forgotten to check the caller ID in an attempt to stop that song from playing. I carried the phone to my room so I was alone.

"Um it's me?" said a confused male voice.

"Oh James!" I laughed, "Sorry about that."

"It's ok babe," he chuckled, "I'm not really that surpised. I was just calling because I need to talk to you. It's kinda important. Can I come over?"

That was not good. It never is when someone says 'I need to talk to you'. Unless.... No, James didn't want to get married. But why would he break up with me? We had been going really well lately, better than ever in fact. Urgh, what's going on?! I had a million theories running through my head.

"Brooklyn?" he asked, "Are you there?"

Oops, I had forgotten about him. "Still here. Sure you can come over!" I said nervously, twirling my fingers through my hair.

"See you in five then," he replied smoothly, before hanging up.

I sat on my bed anxiously, not sure what to do. Then I heard a knock on the front door.

Question: What is the worst phone call you've ever recieved? Mine was when my Grandpa died :(

twintales x

VOTE COMMENT FOLLOW