Chapter 4: Lunch

Chapter 4: Lunch

It had been three days since I went to that club with James. I sat in a lecture hall at NYU, bored out of mind, and started drawing on my notebook. Well, technically it was my notebook, but I spent most of my time doodling on it, and not taking any notes. It's not that I wasn't good at law, but I felt like I was in elementary school. We spent one lecture learning something new, and the next three we just went over that. Unlike most of my peers however, I actually studyed, so when it came round to exam time I still managed to come out near the top of the class.

"Miss Connors!" Mr Evans boomed. I quickly glanced up and saw all eyes on me.

"Y-yes Mr Evans?" I asked innocently.

"Would you care to answer my question?" he smirked, knowing he had caught me out.

I looked at the screen, trying to absorb everything quickly. He turned off the screen so I couldn't read the answer and I blsuhed.

"I don't know," I replied, hanging my head. I hated Mr Evans. If he had been my lecturer in my first year of college then I would have dropped out long ago.

"See me after class Miss Connors," he drawled, "Now everyone, because this is...."

That was when I zoned out again. I wish class was more interesting. In the first two years of law I was upbeat, full of energy, and ready to answer any question on the spot. I still had a passion for law but it was slowly fading. Fortunately, Mr Evans was going away at the end of the month on long service leave. I felt my phone vibrate and looked down. I set the alarm for the end of class, and it looked like it was finally over. I sighed with relief and saw several other people's phones going off too.

"It looks like that's the end," Mr Evans barked, "And make sure you have your essays ready to hand in Thursday."

Everyone slowly grabbed their bags and lumbered out of the hall. I grabbed my already-packed bag and headed down to Mr Evans who was watching me intently.

"You said I had to see you after class," I said, my eyes filled with loathing.

"Brooklyn," he sighed, "You're a good student. You're one of the brightest students in the class, and the your other professors said they never had any trouble with you. Could you please tell me why you weren't paying attention earlier?"

He raised his eyebrow as I considered his question. I think it was mainly the fact I had too much on my mind. Work, uni, meeting Miles, James, Georgia, Miles Teller, Michelle, the upcoming Jimmy Fallon show and Miles Teller. I just couldn't seem to keep him off my mind!

"I just have a lot of things going on right now sir," I said smoothly, "Hopefully I'll have them all cleared up soon."

"I hope you do," he said, shaking his head, "You're dismissed."

I skipped out of the stuffy room, feeling elated that he hadn't yelled, and I didn't have much studying to do. It was just after 2pm and it was just over 80 degrees Fahrenheit (27 Celcius). I decided because it was such a nice day, I would eat lunch at the park. I flicked through my contacts looking for Georgia, to see if she wanted to join me when I came across the most recently added contact in my phone. Miles Teller. I still hadn't texted him or heard from him since the other night, and I felt bad. Partly for ditching him like that, and also because I was dancing with him and I still hadn't told him about James. Maybe I should ask if he wanted to come?

To: Miles Teller

'Hey miles, its brooklyn from the other night. idk if you remember me but i was wondering if u were doing anything for lunch? im just going over to washington square park, so feel free to join me.'

I took a deep breath and clicked send, before relaxing onto the wooden chair. I got a reply almost instantaneously.

'Sounds good, i have 5 min till lunch break, so i'll see u there soon :)'

Woah, I didn't actually expect him to reply! I walked over to the park, and decided to grab a pretzel.

"One cinnamon pretzel please," I asked politely.

"That will be $5.95," the pretzel-man said, holding his hand out expentantly. I reached into my bag, looking for cash when someone behind me dropped a note into his hand.

"Make that two," the man said confidently, before turning to me, "It's good to see you again Brooklyn."

"Hey Miles," I said bashfully, looking up at him, "You didn't have to pay for that, I'll pay you back."

He shook his head and the man handed Miles our pretzels and we strolled over to a wooden bench in the middle of the park.

"These are really good!" Miles exclaimed, after taking a bite, a surprised look on his face.

"I have them a lot," I said cheekily, "Me and pretzel-man who works there are practically family."

He laughed, but stopped abruptly and asked, "Why did you have to leave the club so early last week?"

"Ummm....well...my friend didn't want to come, but I made her tag along anyway, and we made a deal that we would leave by 11." I lied.

"Ohhhh, I didn't know. I thought you were just trying to get away from me," he chuckled.

"I wouldn't do that," I retorted, "And I see you're wearing sunglasses again."

"It's the paps and fans," he said sarcastically, "I'm just too incredible to come out in public unless I'm hidden behind these things."

I rolled my eyes. "Because you look like a completely different person with sunglasses on."

"Exactly," he grinned, before lowering his glasses and looking at me. "See the difference?"

"Mmmmmhmmm," I nodded, taking the last bite of my pretzel, and bursting into a fit of laughter.

He was actually more normal than I originally thought. He was funny, confident but not arrogant, and was fun to be around. We talked for a while, about his movies and what it was like being famous, and my 'very interesting' (note the sarcasm) life.

"I've had a great time with you Brooklyn," he said, "But we've been here for nearly an hour and I need to get back."

"Yeah it was fun," I smiled back at him.

"We'll have to catch up again sometime soon" he said, "And now I have your number."

He waved goodbye and we went our separate ways. Me - back to my old boring life. Him - to the glamourous life of an actor. People always said being famous was difficult but it was hard not to be envious when all you saw was the exterior of it. My usual daydreaming was interrupted by two buzzes from my phone. I had two new messages:

From Miles:

Hope to c u again soon x

He added a kiss at the end?! That was not friendly. I don't know why he would add one anyway, it wasn't like I was some famous actress, or singer, or supermodel. I suddenly felt a wave of guilt rush over me. Had I been leading him on? I didn't think so, but everyone interprets gestures in different ways. Maybe I shouldn't have invited him for lunch. He was a really cool guy though, and I wanted to be friends with him.

My self-conflict was interrupted by the realisation that I had another text message.

From James:

hey babe! havent heard from u since yesterday. miss u :( xo

This made me feel even worse. James was an amazing boyfriend and I felt like I was betraying him. I turned my phone off and slumped back on the seat. I had no clue what to do anymore.

Question: Who knows what they want to do after they finish school? Or if you have, what are you doing? I want to become a lawyer.

twintales x

VOTE COMMENT FOLLOW