Chapter 6 -- Stay back 100 ft.

I told myself to stop staring at him but it was hard to pull my eyes away. Owen was identical to Thomas, but was it believable he was a twin? He could still be a clone...

Owen had too many bipolar moments.  He was definitely human.

"So, you're telling me that you and Thomas are brothers, and Mickey is your cousin? I thought Mickey and Thomas were brothers?" I start to ramble.

Owen begins to erase the whiteboard, "Where would that put me, then?"

"Off the family tree." I retort and he turns around sharply.

"You still think I'm a clone, don't you?" Owen laughs. Yes, actually laughs.

I stand up from my chair and pace the floor. Questions begin to run through my head nonstop. When I finally look up, Owen is calmly sitting on his bar stool. It's as if he's waiting for me to have a breakdown.

"Okay, so what happens now?" I try to put off further questions for fear of what they may entail. Owen hops off his chair and sighs as he pulls out a wad of material from a desk drawer.

The layout of the room makes no sense to me. There's a giant desk in the middle of the area, a small table and chair in the corner where Owen cut my hair, and a kitchenette on the far side of the room. There isn't a bed in sight, but I do know there is apparently a back room.

"I have to design your new suit." Owen slams the drawer shut with an angry force. I'm getting the sense that giving the make over is part of his job and he hates every minute of it.

"Owen, you don't have to worry about it-" I try to console him. He threads a needle and then proceeds to slam his fists down in a rage.

"I do have to worry about it, Della. I have to cut your hair, make your new suit, feed you meals, and take you for walks. None of it's really necessary, but for some reason I have to do it!" He screams up at the ceiling.

I'm going to go out on a limb and take a guess that he doesn't like his job.

Owen shoves the material aside and swipes a few other items off in the process. He hops up from his chair and storms into the back room, leaving a tangible awkwardness hanging over my head in the silence.

He returns seconds later from the open doorway looking more peaceful already.

"Did you take some happy pills or something?" I ask nervously.

Owen rolls his eyes, "No, I just remembered where I kept the key to your handcuffs." He holds up a silver key and my heart races at the sight of it. He's letting me go?

He folds his hand over the key, "I can't seem to hide it from you that I'm not a villain. But I do have to act like one. Believe me, I don't want you here any more than you want to be here. Since Thomas left, though, I've had to step up and convince my dad I could be just as evil as my twin, and I'm the one with powers." Owen's smirk drops.

"But I'm not a villain. Everytime I see you I feel like a monster. I was told to bring you here and act hostile towards you. I can't do it."

"Which part? The bringing me here or acting hostile? Because you seemed to have accomplished both." I remark.

Owen huffs, looking me straight in the eyes, "I didn't want to treat you like that. I was under very close examination. One wrong move and my whole plan could go out the window."

"Wait, plan? To do what?" I shake my head, trying to comprehend what he's getting at.

There's that smirk again, "To defeat The Undergrounds."