Chapter 12 -- Willing to compromise

It was a short trip back home. I was afraid of what I would see in town. Would it be like my dream and everyone is hiding in their homes? Or since the city wasn't charred from Trident's fires would they be carefree?

I rush through the town of Kingsville, where Red Raven's headquarters was held. People are out on the streets, playing in parks, carrying on with their lives. It's peaceful.

Will my home be as peaceful? No.

I approach the front door step with hesitancy. Preparing for a lecture, I close my eyes. This wasn't going to be easy in any way.

Stepping up to the doormat, I look inside the kitchen window, but find no one. No lights are on from any room. Curiously, I flip the doormat over and find the spare key.

After entering the house, I look around for my parents or Mason or even Ash and Jonas, who always seemed to be here.

"Hello?" I call out and hear my voice echo off the walls. I have no idea what day it is, I've already lost track. Would mom and dad be at work? But where is Mason? He should be home, he takes night classes.

I walk out of the house, locking the door behind me and putting the key back under the rug. I'll go to Ash's house. Maybe that's where I can find Ash, Jonas, and Mason.

As I speed over to her home, something feels off. I'm not dreaming again, am I? I mentally groan at the thought.

Ash's house looks perfectly normal, and to my surprise, it looks like someone is here. Relief washes over me as I knock on her front door. Finally, someone to talk to.

Ash comes to the door and freezes in place. Her hand comes up to cover her mouth. She looks behind me and then drags me inside.

"Where did you go?!? We've been looking for you everywhere!" She folds her arms across her chest, shifting her emotions from joy to rage in the blink of an eye.

Before I can answer, she continues to yell, "Why did you run away? I thought we had everything taken care of," She grips onto my shoulders and shakes me. At least I know from the indentions of her nails in my skin that I'm not dreaming. "I'm your best friend, you need to tell me when something is bad enough to make you run away!" Ash looks exactly like she did in my dream, complete with bags under her eyes, a sloppy bun, and sweats.

"Ash, I didn't run away. I was kidnapped. The Undergrounds took me." Her eyes grow wide in shock.

"How are you back here?"

"I have an ally. Look, I don't want to say too much about him because I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm safe. I'm going back to my house to get some clothes. Do you know where my family is?"

Her face pales at the mention of my family. No. No, no, no. What happened?

"Ash?" I breathe.

She closes her eyes, "They all went looking for you, including Jonas. I was going to go, but they said I was the new hero around town, and that I had to put on a brave face until they brought you back." She opens her eyes to look up at me, "Why do I have a feeling you're not coming back?" 

"Where are they? Can you call them?" I dismiss her last question.

"Well, yes. They all split up around the country. Your dad and Mason went together and your mom and Jonas went together. I'll call them right now, if you'd like." She pulls her phone out from her back pocket. After she dials someone's number, she hands the light blue phone over to me.

My hands are shaking and sweaty. It comes as a shock to hear Jonas' voice answer on the third ring.

"Hello?" Jonas' voice cracks. I mentally chuckle.