Chapter 15 -- They don't suit you

"Okay, tell me what you think of this one." Owen holds up a suit he made for me. How am I supposed to choose from any of these? They're all so good.

"I can't choose, Owen. How long have you been making super suits?" I brush my hand across all of the various fabrics.

He shrugs, "I've pretty much made all of the villains' suits." My jaw nearly drops to the floor.

"No way." Even though they were all tailored for villains, a smile still comes to my face. Owen has some serious talent and I'm glad to see he puts it to use.

"My dad hates that I'd rather make villain suits than actually act like a villain." Owen admits, not making eye contact with me as he continues to look for something.

I pick up a super suit that I've fallen in love with since I laid eyes on it. There's a part of me that imagines being on top of a building, my white hair flowing in the wind, and preparing to kick somebody's butt. Then I'm brought back to reality, where I know I have to be the loser.

"Owen, we need to talk about your plan." I sigh.

"Alright," He picks up a pair of scissors and waves them around, pointing at the super suit in my arms. "Is that the one you want?"

I look down at the teal blue material. Blue does seem to be my signature color. It has a gray belt and cape to match. The armor across the chest seems to be made of a protective metal. That could come in handy.

"Yes, this is the one I want. Now, tell me more about how I'm supposed to be a loser." I set the super suit back on the table with the others.

Owen rolls his eyes and takes a seat at the island counter, as do I. He runs a hand through his hair, "If you lose fights to heroes on purpose, my dad will think you don't have what it takes to be a villain. He'll think you're untrainable and release you from your sentence."

"Okay, but what if he sees how much I'm losing and blames you for your poor coaching? He could take all of his anger out on you." I counter.

Owen scoffs, "He already thinks lowly of me. I don't have anything to lose."

My heart just broke inside a little. Can villain parents really be vilainous to their own kids?

"Well," I choke out, "Who would I fight each time to make sure I lose?"

Owen smirks, "That, Della, is where things get interesting. I'm thinking, since Drake wants a re-match-"

"Did he not learn his lesson the first time?" I throw my hands up in exasperation.

Owen chuckles, "That he did. But now he knows he can't lose. He'll be posing as the hero. We already set up a time tomorrow for you two to be on top of the news station. It's a perfect opportunity to get publicity."

"As a failure." I cross my arms over my chest. I can't believe his new plan is to let Drake pummel me. I can guarantee I won't be going down without a fight.

"Indeed." He replies, hopping off from his stool. He grabs the super suit I selected and tosses it in my arms, along with a mask on top.

I quirk an eyebrow, "The mask is black, it doesn't match-"

"I don't have a mask created for that one yet, Della. Now, go try on your suit." He waves me away with the brush of his hand.

Suddenly, I feel like I'm behind bars all over again.

The back of his apartment was something I'd only pictured in my crazy dream. Apparently, I wasn't too far off. How did I have a dream so realistic about his room without having seen it before?