Chapter 16 -- What's wrong with vanilla?

"Della! That was phenomenal! Everyone saw you dangling but they were still scared because of the storm! You should be proud-"

Owen was walking up to Jonas and I, messing with his watch. He finally looked up, only to stop talking.

"I'm so glad that isn't Drake, because I was about to seriously question you two." He declares, pointing an accusing finger at us as Jonas reluctantly takes his hands off of my waist.

"This is Jonas. Jonas, this is Owen." I introduce the two of them, and I watch Jonas' hands ball up into fists.

The rain has stopped pouring down as I watch how Jonas reacts to meeting Owen. Jonas steps away from me to size Owen up. Jonas is definitely taller, and he has more arm muscle too. Owen doesn't seem to be intimidated, though.

"She's not your project anymore. I'm taking her home. If your dad wants his revenge, he can come after me." Jonas threatens. Owen glances over at me, but I have nothing to say in this matter. I've already tried to convince Jonas of my mission.

"Calm down, man. My dad may be holding her hostage, but I'm not. She's free to go if she wants to." Owen shrugs off the conversation, but not before Jonas pushes him to the ground. Looking at me with wide eyes, Owen scrambles to pick himself up.

All of us have soaking wet hair, and Owen's shirt clings to his chest. Jonas' mask is still between my fingers. His suit clings to his body, showing off his muscles more than an ordinary shirt would. As I watch the scene unravel in front of me, I can't help but admire Jonas right now. I snap back to reality when he starts yelling at Owen.

"Liar! All of you villains are liars. You're not going to let her go until she does all of your dirty work!"

"Jonas," I breathe out, hoping to stop him before he hurt Owen. They could easily start a fight if I don't interject. "He's telling the truth. He let me go, but I couldn't take the risk."

Jonas' eyes soften as he looks at me, "What? You chose to stay in The Undergrounds? Why?"

I straighten my mask, "I already told you, I have to save you guys instead of you guys saving me. This is my personal mission to save my team and... and myself."

Jonas rolls his eyes, ignoring Owen completely now, "Red Raven isn't a threat, and we could take on a few villains from The Undergrounds."

Before I can respond, Jonas shakes his head, "I can't believe you lied to me," He doesn't look me in the eyes, "You're going to fit in great as a villain." He begins to walk away. I don't call after Jonas. That last comment hurt too much for me to chase after him.

***

"Do you... Uh... Want some soup... Or something?" Owen asks from his kitchen counter. I sprawled myself across his couch when we came back to his lair. My suit and mask were still plastered on my body, thanks to the summer heat.

"Why would I want hot soup when it's 102 degrees outside?" I retort.

Owen sighs, "I don't know, maybe because it sounds like you and your boyfriend just broke up and I'm trying to comfort you."

"Then get me ice cream!" I yell at him, all the while laughing.

Owen scratches the back of his head, "Yeah, that makes more sense." He opens his freezer and walks over to me with the tub and a spoon in his hands. When he places them in my lap, he says, "I don't know what's motivating you to stay, but I'm glad. I just don't want to cause problems between you and your friends."

Before I dig out a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream and plop it in my mouth, I reply, "Yeah, it's too late for that."

He purses his lips, "So what're you going to do?"