Chapter One

'Dance is a way to find yourself and lose yourself all at the same time.'

~

"Opal! Get down here right now!" He shouted from downstairs. I shut my textbooks immediately and slipped on a jumper before sprinting down the stair by two, nearly slipping on the last step. 

"I need you to go to the store and get these." He shoved the piece of paper in my hand and walked away not even bothering to look my way. I nodded silently and walked towards the front door. Putting on my shoes I hurried out the door and into the cold. My breath clouded up whenever I inhaled and exhaled. If a heart could be like an hourglass that you could freeze at a certain point in time, I would have frozen mine a long time ago. Precisely when our family picture was still in one piece.

"Eggs, milk, bread." I muttered as I walked around the supermarket, grabbing everything that was on the list. Paying at the counted I made sure that I got the right amount of change. I doubled checked before grabbing the plastic bags in both hands and making my way back home. 

I couldn't help but smile when I came to the park and saw that it was empty, taking out my phone it read. 4:40pm, I still had 20. Placing the bags on a bench, I took out my earphones, connecting it with my phone and popping it into my ears. I got into first position and dance. Letting my feet take me to a different world, where nothing matters.

The melody of the music was fast. I felt it crawl up into my veins. Twirling, spinning, leaping I finished off on an Arabesque. Panting heavily, I stood up straight and finished off with some stretches. Checking the time I had 10 minutes to get home, picking up the bag I started running home.

"You're two minutes late." He slurred standing at the doorway. He eyes were dark and lifeless. Walking up to me and taking a fistful of my hair he dragged me in and slammed the door.

"I told you not to be late!" He yelled spit flying everywhere. He kicked me in the stomach, sending me flying against the wall. I saw his feet walk towards me, grabbing the front of my jumper, yanking me up and pushing me against the wall so my feet didn't even touch the ground.

"This is all your fault! You're a devil's child!" He spat, I saw his hand raised, and came down striking my face. I screamed in pain. He dropped me and walked off. I laid there for a while. Just counting the minutes passed by. 2, 3, 4. I slowly got up, pain shot through my body. I staggered back to my room and laid down on my bed. Setting my alarm, I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep, praying that tomorrow will be better. But I knew it wouldn't be. It never was. 

***

"Alright everyone settle down. We have a new student joining us, I want you to make her feel welcome." I stood at the front of the room with my eyes on the ground. "Why is she wearing a hoodie when she inside?"  I heard one of the girls whisper.

"Why don't you introduce yourself, dear?" Mrs Taylor suggested from her table. She gave me an encouraging smile.

"Umm..My name is Opal, I moved here because of h-Dad's job. I hope we all get along." I muttered, tightening my grip on my bag.

"Alright then, you can sit..." She looked around the room, "Next to Zayn. Raise your hand Zayn." A boy with dark hair raised his hand. Mrs Taylor gave me a little shove in the back urging me forward. I silently groan in pain. Walking to the back of the room I quickly sat down. Taking out my book and pencil case, I started copying down the notes from the broad.

"Hey, can I borrow a pen?" I turned to face Zayn who shot me a dazzling smile. I gave him a pen and continued writing.

"Thank you Emerald."