Chapter 23//Nightmares

Hay everyone, I'm gonna try something new this chapter where it starts in the present then flashes back to the events that led to what happened. Btw this is going to be a longer chapter!!

Now

"NO!!", I howl into the searing silence of the night. But the strangers clad in ripped denim only quicken their pace at dragging my limp mate along with them.

"NO!! PLEASE!!".

Ella's limp figure is now fading into the darkness of the forest, as my vision continues to blur.

"No... ", my voice is now a harsh whisper, "don't take her away. Not again...".

As my mind finally collapses on me, I am left lying on the damp forest floor, drenched in the blood of my pack.

2 hours earlier

The sun was just starting to disappear beyond the horizon, its honey glaze becoming lost in the shadows. The pack was worn out and hungry, with no animal movement in the nearest mile. The only piece of hope left to cling onto was that of the dying sun, which as it's burning rays fled the darkening sky gave way to new determination. We had all agreed that we couldn't risk stopping for another night. In unknown territory it was too much of a risk to stay this long in the open.

The pack and I sprinted through the forest at an unimaginable speed, following the scent of the school. The hunger and sleep deprivation pushed us further, and further, until all I could register was the wind as it bristled my fur.

I could sense that Ella was not 100% with us. Her pace had been slowing rapidly for the past hour and her heavy breathing could be heard throughout the forest. For a while I had decided to let her be, until about an hour later when she had stopped. Well, if by stopped you mean collapsed. The heavy thump of her body hitting the cold forest floor startled everyone in the pack, me most of all.

A few whimpers were heard at the sight of their 'unofficial Luna' lying so limply, but my pain was the most observable. I had immediately rushed towards her, lifting her limp head into my lap.

"Ella? Ella are you ok?!?!" I had asked urgently.

My question received no response, her face growing paler by the minute. Within the next half an hour we had lifted her onto a dry log and had the best medic at the scene observe her. When the he finally looked up at me, his face was one of pity.

"I'm afraid she has passed out from physical exhaustion and sleep deprivation".

Guilt flooded through me. I had done this to her. It was my fault that she was like this. My immediate instinct was to isolate myself from the rest of my pack so that I could release my anger. So I did just that.

My fist was heard pounding the delicate bark of  the trees. My grunts and shouts of frustration and sadness were heard echoing through the empty forest. I knew that my pack was probably standing half a mile behind me, listening to every crunch. Yet, somehow it didn't seem to matter. I just needed to see her and talk to her. To hear her telling me I was being a baby and that everything was fine. Still, I knew that that was probably not going to happen.

The sharp snap of a twig snapped me out of my thoughts and I was returned to the reality in which I was alone in the middle of the woods with no way of knowing what was out there with me. Realising my vulnerability, I immediately mind linked Luke.