Chapter 26//Out of the woods... I think

* a song to listen to, optional of course. I'm pretty sure that I only put these songs in cause I like them, not cause they actually suit the chapter.

Ella's POV

My heart is racing at a million miles an hour, thumping a steady beat against my rib cage. The melody of its thumping is thrilling, yet frightening at the same time. I'm not sure which way I should feel anymore. Thrilled that we escaped, or frightened of the consequences? But instead of pondering on this distracting thought, I decide to focus on the steady rhythm in my chest.

We have been running nonstop for the past day, with fear of what lies behind us, driving us  forward at a remarkable speed. My guess is that we have at least 2 hours on Rocky and his pack, estimating that they left around the time they found us missing.

"Maybe we should stop for a bit?" A 15 year old blonde male shouts out from the back of the pack.

Luke looks back at him while continuing at the same pace.

"I know that everyone is tired but we have to continue on since we don't know how far away they are."

Groans and huffs of annoyance are heard from within the crowd. A moment later Kyle leans in to whisper something in my ear.

"Maybe we could stop for just a moment?"

I withdraw the focus on my heartbeat and set it on the question in front of me. Maybe if we just stopped for a few minutes we'd have a moment to rest. After all, we did just escape prison after running without food for 3 days at least.

"Ok. Just for a few minutes though."

Everyone immediately stops their running and collapses to the ground. I can't help but laugh lightly at this. Unlike the rest of the pack, I feel completely energised. Maybe it's because of the whole 'healing' thing, but I'm not quite sure.

I look over to Kyle and see that he is lying on his back, staring at the endless blue sky above. His face is red and puffy from all of the running  and it makes me laugh a bit.

As soon as the humoured sound leaves my lips his head whips around to look at me. His face is painted with an amused expression.

"What's so funny?" He asked curiously.

I laugh again, trying to cover it up by placing a hand over my mouth.

"Oh nothing. It's just..... I never knew that you turned into a pink marshmallow when you run."

As soon as the words leave my mouth I burst out laughing. He scoffs at me.

"You're one to talk Miss. Beetroot!"

The smirk immediately flees from my face and is replaced with a look of fear.

"How bad is it?"

He laughs.

"Somewhere between a 7 to an 8."

"Oh god."

He laughs once more and walks over to me after standing from the floor. He wraps one of him arms around my shoulders and leans in to whisper in my ear.