Chapter 10

Before work the next day, Lyra had gone shopping. She bought some new comfortable shoes for herself that would also match kimonos. She had a feeling Sesshomaru enjoyed seeing her in more traditional attire. But that didn't stop her from buying herself some leggings and a loose top, including underwear. She also got a cute dress for Rin and also some treats like sweets and chocolate they could share with Jaken. She didn't know what she could buy for Sesshomaru so instead she decided to make him some homemade food, but she would prepare that a day before she would go back.

Work was fairly quiet and with no customers in the store at that moment, Lyra and her colleagues were simply talking and gossiping. Not long after, the bell went at the door as a customer entered. It was Kanda. Lyra could hear her colleagues quickly shuffle away to make themselves look busy and she could make out quiet whispers about him and how handsome he looked. His smile was bright as he made his way over to the counter where Lyra was standing, causing her to be on the receiving end of ogling eyes. Like always, he was clad in a suit that was clearly designed just for him, briefcase in hand and a really expensive watch on his wrist.

"Good afternoon, sir," she greeted, careful not to speak his name. Her hands were folded over each other in a presentable fashion on top of the counter.
He stood on the opposite side of the glass counter and smiled politely. "Good afternoon. How are you, Lyra?"
She smiled and gave a nod of her head. "I'm well, thank you. And yourself?"
"Likewise. I never got your last name yesterday," he hinted.
"Oh, right. It's Akiyama."
"Lyra Akiyama," he spoke quietly, wanting to hear her full name himself.
She felt a bit awkward but pretended she didn't hear before continuing her service. "We received some new designs that I think you may like."

She went to move towards the other counter but was stopped when she felt a hand hold onto hers. It was gentle but it did make her freeze and turn back. Even her colleagues gasped, none of them even tried to hide it. Kanda didn't let go though, his eyes focused on Lyra's. She began to feel embarrassed as she looked at him questioningly.

"I'm not here to buy anything today," he told her before letting go of her hand.
Lyra felt relieved and smiled. "Okay. Is there anything else I can help you with?"
He began to feel slightly nervous as he looked to the side, a small smile making its way onto his lips before he looked at her again. "I would be honoured if you joined me for a coffee."

She stared at him blankly, his words still processing in her mind. Her colleagues were now literally surrounding her, staring between the two of them wondering what her response will be.

Lyra blinked a couple of times. "Are you...asking me out?" she asked in disbelief.
"Was it not obvious?" He laughed, his nerves showing in his expression. "I'm sorry. I'm quite terrible at this."
"No, no," she shook her head. "I was just taken aback, I guess."
He smiled warmly. "Well?"

Lyra suddenly felt all eyes on her. She was the type of person who found it hard to say no to anyone, especially since he plucked up the courage to ask her. But she knew it would be impossible. She couldn't give him false hope because she was already in love with someone else. She was ready to reject him.

"Actually, I-"
"She'll join you!" her manager cut her off as she blocked Lyra's view.
Her eyes widened and she shook her head. "But-"
Before Lyra could object, another colleague interjected. "Just give the time and place and she'll be there!"
Kanda seemed quite overwhelmed by the sudden lack of privacy. "Uh, great. Tonight at 7? Sakura Haven Café?"
"Perfect. She'll be there," her manager answered for her involuntarily again.
"Great." He could just about spot Lyra behind the crowd of women. "Text me your number. I'll see you later."

Before the crazy ladies could do anything else, he turned and left the store. Once Lyra was free, she sighed and looked at her colleagues with disappointment. Everything just happened so fast. She was not expecting for her colleagues to answer for her without her consent.