Chapter 52

They made it to the well in the Higurashi shrine but they didn't have time to stop and say hello. Sesshomaru jumped into the well with Lyra still on his back and a dead Kanda in his arms. As they made it to the other side, Sesshomaru leapt out of the well and they were instantly unnerved by the atmosphere there.

"Sesshomaru, can you feel that?" Lyra whispered.
"Yes. We don't have much time," he said. "Naraku has used the Shikon jewel."

Up ahead, they could see a large and ominous cloud forming in the sky. The aura was dark and they could see demons flying towards it as if it was a beacon.

"That's where Mikazuki is, isn't he..?" she asked as her heart felt heavy.

Sesshomaru didn't say anything. There was no point. They both just knew they had to get to him as soon as possible. But they still needed to save Kanda. They had no idea why the Tenseiga couldn't revive him but there was only one person who could help them. Sesshomaru flew up to the sky in search for his mother's castle.

"Sesshomaru?"
"Yes, Lyra?"
She went silent for a few seconds before signing quietly. "I have so much to say but I don't know where to begin."
"Don't say anything," he told her. "Whatever happened meant nothing... Except for the moments with you."

Knowing he wanted nothing more to say, she lay her head down on his shoulder. Just minutes later, Inukimi's castle came into view beyond the clouds. When the guards saw Sesshomaru approaching, one of them quickly went to inform his mother. By the time he landed on top of the stairs, she had come out to see them.

"Sesshomaru. Lyra. You've finally returned," she greeted.
Lyra quickly climbed off and bowed. "Mother. We... I..."
"Stand, Lyra. There's no need for an explanation." She signed deeply. "Naraku enjoys a good boast and told us where he had sent you."
She stood and looked at her. "We need your help."
Inukimi looked at the man Sesshomaru was holding. "He's dead. Who is he?"
Sesshomaru placed him down on the cushioned bench beside the throne. "His name is Kanda."
"The man I was meant to marry," Lyra explained.
Inukimi raised her brows at Sesshomaru. "And you want to save him?"
"He saved Lyra's life," he said. "I owe him this."
Inukimi scoffed. "You owing humans? I never thought I'd see the day."
He frowned. "Mother."
"Fine, fine," she breathed out. "Why couldn't you save him yourself?"
"Tenseiga did not work."
"Well, I'm certain he hasn't been revived before."

She walked over to Kanda and looked down at him. Lyra clung into the sleeve of Sesshomaru's kimono and silently prayed that he would be revived.

"Hmm..." Inukimi hummed in thought.
"What is it?" Sesshomaru asked.
She looked at them. "The reason you couldn't bring him back from the dead is because the world you were in was fake."
Layla's brows furrowed in confusion. "What do you mean?"
"Naraku told us that he had sent you to a world he created from Lyra's memories," she explained. "The people were Naraku's doing as well but I don't understand how he came to be there." She looked at Lyra. "Perhaps it was because of his love for you."

Lyra didn't know what to say to that and so she kept quiet. Sesshomaru remained silent as well but simply because he couldn't help but be displeased of his feelings for her.

"Because the world was unreal, your sword wouldn't have been able to work, Sesshomaru," Inukimi added. "Try it now."

Sesshomaru was skeptical but approached Kanda's body. Lyra followed and watched silently as he drew the Tenseiga. His eyes widened as he was finally able to see the creatures of the underworld.

"I see them."

With a slash of his sword, he slay them. Lyra clasped her hands together and prayed that it worked. And it did.