Chapter 39

Lyra decided it was time to visit the future. She hadn't returned to that time since her father died and she was missing her family there. All she had to do was convince Sesshomaru. He wasn't keen on letting her go anywhere without him. There was also that uncertainty of what Naraku was up to.

There was still a few months left before the baby was due yet Lyra's bump had already grown a significant amount. Apparently it was normal for demon babies to grow at an accelerated rate in the womb and they would gather their strength before it was time to give birth. Sesshomaru had explained it to her plenty of times but it still freaked her out.

She was sitting beside the fire with him. Rin and Jaken were already asleep so they were just enjoying the silence. Lyra had the mokomoko wrapped around her as she snuggled into Sesshomaru's side. She was playing with his fingers but he didn't seem to mind. He found it to be quite relaxing.

"Sesshy?"
"Yes?"
She lifted her head to peer up at him. "I was wondering if I was able to visit the future."
He turned his gaze onto her. "Now?"
"Well, not right this second. But soon." She looked at him pleadingly. "May I?"
He thought for a short moment before coming to a decision. "Very well. But I will go with you. I don't want you to go through the well on your own."
She grinned and hugged his arm. "Thank you!"
"We will leave in the morning. But I don't want to waste too much time there."
"That's fine."

She kneeled up and kissed his cheek but as she did so, Sesshomaru wrapped his arm around her and pulled her into his lap. Letting out a squeak of surprise, she allowed him to position her how be wanted. She sat in between his legs as he rested his chin on top of her head and placed his hand over her bump. Lyra giggled quietly and relaxed as Sesshomaru rubbed her bump.

They both sat in silence for a couple of minutes before both their eyes suddenly widened at the exact same time. In sync, they both looked down.

"Did you feel that?" Lyra whispered.
"I did," Sesshomaru replied in a quite tone.

Lyra grinned brightly. The baby had just kicked and they both felt it at the same time. They both stayed still and silent. A few seconds later, there was another kick against Sesshomaru's hand.

Lyra smiled softly. "It's like he knows you're there."
"Our son..."

It was a deeply special moment for the both of them. The baby continued to move as if entertaining his parents.

"Lyra, I have already chosen a name for him," Sesshomaru told her.
"Mikazuki," she said.
He blinked. "How did you-" Before he finished his question, he stopped himself and sighed. It would have been a silly question. "Never mind. Do you like it?"
"I love it, Sesshomaru. It's perfect."

Lyra turned around and sat on her knees so she could face him. Sesshomaru instantly held her chin before bringing her forward and kissing her deeply. She smiled through the kiss as their lips moved slowly together, both sharing a pure love filled kiss. Lyra could feel the baby moving again making her laugh quietly against his lips. They parted from the kiss and looked down at her bump again. Sesshomaru returned his hand to her bump.

"He will be strong," he said.
She nodded and looked up at him. "I believe so. Would you like to see him?"
He met her gaze with confusion as his brows knitted together. "How is that possible?"

***

Kanda sat in his office at the hospital, typing away at his computer. It had been quite a long and busy day and he had finally found some time to rest. It was almost time for him to go home but he wasn't ready yet.

Since what had happened with Lyra, everything had changed. People treated him like he was a widower, which felt incredibly strange since he was the only one who knew she was still alive. He had to put on an act that he was still trying to get over her death. At first he kept accidentally saying that she was still alive and being all confused, but luckily people thought he was just in denial. His family knew she was alive but they had vowed to keep it hidden. He kept a photo on his desk from their engagement. He still loved her but he was happy that she was finally happy.