Chapter 14

After thanking Kaede for all her help, Sesshomaru and Lyra left the village to return to Rin and Jaken. Night had fallen and Lyra was feeling a lot better, the initial weakness being diminished thanks to the soup. She had refused Sesshomaru’s request to carry her seeing as she would have to get her strength back and not rely on him so much. He knew he would have to take extra precautions now.

He would do everything in his power to make sure she was never left alone again. Part of him wished to send her back to her own time where she would be safe, but he knew the consequences of her leaving. Plus, he would long for her and he couldn’t stay away from her for so long. She was due to return to her home soon anyway as agreed with Kagome.

Lyra glanced up at Sesshomaru, noticing how quiet he was. Well, he was quiet anyway, only speaking when needed, but he seemed as though he was completely lost in thought. She gently took hold of his hand, intertwining their fingers together causing him to look down at her.

“Is everything okay, Sesshomaru?” she asked softly.

He stopped walking, causing her to stop beside him with a worried frown on her face. There was definitely something wrong. Sesshomaru continued to stare ahead, trying to think of the best possible way to explain what he wanted to say without upsetting Lyra. A small gust of wind blew passed them, the only thing breaking the silence between them as they stood on a large field.

“Sesshomaru?”

He sighed quietly and looked at her. He was unsure on how to express his desires. Frankly, they had not been together for very long though he did not doubt that she was indeed his mate and always would be. Even demons did not rush into relationships and then straight into marriage. It was usually arranged so that the bloodline would remain pure. He knew for a fact his mother would not like his choosing, especially since she was human. But even if she was a demon, his mother would still not approve of her because she wouldn’t be part of a certain family lineage. A demon from a family that matched theirs in class and authority would only be suitable to be his life partner...in his mother’s eyes. But forcing her to be a demon was not something he was going to make her do. He wouldn’t know where to begin. Sesshomaru wondered what his mother would think of his choice. He just hoped-

“Sesshomaruuu? Sesshy?” Lyra called him out of his thoughts, waving her hand on front of his face.
He blinked, looking at her incredulously. “What did you call me?”
She giggled. “Sesshy,” she repeated. “Is that a problem?” He didn’t answer her. ‘Typical.’ “Well? What’s wrong?”
“Lyra, will you marry me?”
“What?!” Lyra gasped, her eyes widening in complete and utter shock.

Hearing those words was definitely not what she was expecting. Part of her thought she was daydreaming or that she misheard him. Her heart felt as though it had jumped into her throat.

“Lyra,” he held onto her hand, bringing it up to his lips before placing a kiss on it, which helped her relax a little. Just a little. He continued, “I have no doubt you are my soulmate and I would have it no other way. I wish to make you mine in all forms and that can only be done after marriage.” As he explained the last part, Lyra's face flushed a deep red before he carried on. “That way others will know you are mine and will not dare to touch you. For if they do, they will suffer the most painful death.”
Lyra took in a deep breath before sighing out. Her heart was beating hard and fast. “Sesshomaru-"
“Please, Lyra,” he spoke softer as he gently squeezed her hand. “I want to spend my life with you. My father asked me before his death if I had someone to protect.” His voice was full of emotion, which Lyra had never heard before and so she listened. “I told him I had no need to protect anyone. And now,” his voice had lowered slightly, his tone sounding a little deeper as he leaned down to press his forehead against hers. “Now I have someone I want to protect. My heart yearns for you when you are not with me. When I was searching for you, I was angry for failing you. I realise I took you for granted. Nothing is worth anything without you. Nothing is worth losing you.”