Chapter 27

Lyra didn't know when she had fallen asleep again. All she remembered was watching the skies growing dark and the stars beginning to sparkle while resting against Sesshomaru. She had a dreamless sleep, which she was grateful for. She finally felt fully energised.

She awoke to the sound of Rin's laughter and Jaken's screaming because his fish was still flapping around. Whilst stretching her arms and back, she felt something soft around her. She opened her eyes to see Sesshomaru peering down at her, which only made her smile. His mokomoko was around her like a blanket as she used his leg for a pillow.

"Who needs a bed when I have you?" she joked.
"Perhaps I shouldn't allow it." He looked ahead at the others. "Your sleep lasts for much longer than I would like."
She pouted a little as she sat up. "Then just wake me up."
"I tried. You sleep as though your life depends on it."
"Well...it kinda almost does," she said, attempting to justify it. "And besides, I was catching up on the sleep I lost out on the night before."
He breathed out quietly, "Very well. Eat now."

Lyra knew that he would rather not discuss her sleeping habits. It annoyed him but if she went on to carry on talking about it, he would give up and move away from the topic. In her mind, that was a win.

Rin ran over to her. "Good morning!"
Lyra smiled. "Good morning, Rin. What's that smell?" she asked, sniffing the air slightly.
"Jaken and I caught some fish for us to eat."
"Why does it smell different?" Lyra wondered, causing Sesshomaru to glance at her.
"Oh," Rin blinked. "I haven't noticed. It smells the same to me. Perhaps it's a different type of fish."
Lyra nodded. "Yes, that's true." She brushed away a small soil stain from the girl's cheek with her thumb. "Did you sleep well?"
Rin nodded with a bright grin. "Yes!"

Lyra laughed quietly as she ran back to the fish to turn them over to cook the other side. She watched as Rin and Jaken eagerly awaited for the food to be ready as she wrapped her arms around her knees. But something was bothering her. She turned her head to see Sesshomaru staring at her with a thoughtful expression.

"I can literally feel your eyes on me. Have I got something on my face?" she asked, lifting her hand to touch her cheek.

Sesshomaru didn't say anything. She wasn't even sure if he had even blinked. After waiting a few seconds for a response, Lyra raised her brows slightly.

"Sesshomaru, is everything okay?" she asked with concern.
He finally turned away. "It's nothing."

It wouldn't be the first time Sesshomaru had acted that way so she simply brushed it off. She learned it was best for her not to keep pestering him when he was clearly not wanting to talk. Soon, Rin brought a fish over to her on a stick. It was still as delicious as normal but the taste was a little different. Once they had finished eating, they gathered their things before resuming their journey towards Mount Hakurei.

Sesshomaru remained extra vigilant, not wanting to waste time in unnecessary conflicts with the Band of Seven. His goal was Naraku. The scent of his controlled minion, Kohaku, lingered in the air still. Lyra, however, couldn't get Itachi out of her mind. She had an unprompted flashback of their brief talk from the day before and since then, she could think about only him. A deep sensation had set in her heart but she couldn't comprehend it. She didn't want to bother Sesshomaru by telling him about it but she also needed to talk to him so that he could perhaps help her in some way. She couldn't understand the feeling. She had never felt like that before and it was beginning to scare her.

'What is so important about you, Itachi? Why can't I simply forget about you?'

She shook her head to rid herself of those thoughts. That night, she would have to speak to Sesshomaru about what was going on. Although she didn't wish to burden him, it was better for her to communicate with him rather than keeping it a secret. He was her mate and she wouldn't hide things from him.