Chapter 49

As the elevator continued to travel, Sesshomaru and Lyra slowly parted from the kiss. He opened his eyes first, viewing the serenity on her face. Lifting his hand, he stroked her cheek with the back of his fingers. She opened her eyes and looked up at him. His face was so close to hers but she felt calm. Still, she couldn't get over how right it all felt, yet at the same time, she felt so guilty.

Pushing against him slightly, she sighed. "This is wrong. We're both with other people..."
"I'm sorry," he spoke softly. "I shouldn't have done that..."
"I'm sorry too..." she whispered.

Their hold on each other never loosened though. Lyra's eyes closed again as Sesshomaru pressed a final kiss on her lips.

Just then, the doors slid open. Being so lost in each others presence, neither took notice of the company. But by the time they both realised, it was too late. Lyra quickly pulled away and turned her head to the woman staring at them. The cleaner's eyes widened upon witnessing the two kissing in the elevator.

The woman simply giggled. "Ah, young love. Sorry to disturb you both. I'll take the next one."
Sesshomaru nodded. "Thank you."

As the doors closed again, Lyra dropped her head back against the wall. They knew what they were doing was wrong. She had Kanda and he was with Hokori. Kanda definitely didn't deserve the disloyalty and even someone like Hokori didn't deserve it either. They had to stop. Silently, they both mutually decided the same thing.

Once the elevator began moving again, she lowered her gaze and he moved away from her. They both stood as if nothing had happened and just then, the bell dinged. The elevator doors opened and there stood Hokori. She frowned upon seeing Lyra with Sesshomaru but they both kept straight faces. She looked between the two of them before her attention landed on her boyfriend.

"Where did you go, Sesshomaru?"
"A walk," he replied.
She then turned to Lyra. "What about you?" she asked as if she was testing her.
Lyra stared right back at her. "Nowhere."
"Tell me the truth."
She sighed deeply. "I looked at him. Okay?"

Hokori's eyes widened before she glared at her angrily. Lyra squeezed through the narrow gap beside Hokori before making her way back to the party. Hokori watched her leave with a pissed off expression on her face. Turning back to Sesshomaru, she frowned.

"Are you going to let her get away with that?!"
"Did you tell her not to look at me?" he asked as he stepped out of the elevator.
"Yes, because she-!" She stopped herself from admitting it but it was too late.
He narrowed his eyes at her. "You're pathetic."

He walked passed her as well and also returned to the party, leaving Hokori standing there alone, angry and jealous. She stormed back to the party and her eyes scanned the room. Sesshomaru was with some of the directors and Lyra was on the other side of the room talking to her friends.

"Your hair was up earlier, wasn't it?" one of her colleagues asked.
"Oh yeah!" another one said. "I've never seen you with your hair down. It suits you!"
Lyra played with a lock of her hair, remembering the moment. "Thank you."

Suddenly, someone grabbed her shoulder and spun her around. Hokori was quite literally fuming as she glared at her nastily.

"You bitch!" she screamed as she raised her hand.

Lyra's eyes widened, ready to stop her as Hokori swung her hand to slap her. Lyra instinctively raised her hand to shield herself but Hokori's wrist was caught. She gasped as she turned her head to see Sesshomaru was the one who stopped her. The whole room fell silent as they watched the drama unfold.

Her eyes almost popped out of her skull. "Sesshomaru..!"
He glared at her. "What are you doing, Hokori?!" he asked angrily.
She put on a hurt expression and pretended to sob. "But... But Lyra said... She said she's going to...take you from me...a-and there's nothing...I can do about it..."
Lyra's brows furrowed as she stared at the woman in shock. "What?!"
Keeping hold of her wrist in his tight grip, Sesshomaru moved to stand in front of Lyra as if he was protecting her. "Let me remind you that I do not belong to you. You do not own me. Also, you do not need to worry about anyone taking me since I no longer wish for you to remain in my life."
Hokori's eyes widened. "No! Don't say that, Sesshomaru!"