Chapter 42

(So sorry about the super long wait! I knew exactly what I wanted to happen but my brain just couldn't put it into words. Again, I apologise for the wait.)

The fighting had been continuing. The demons that came at them were mere child's play for them. Even Shippo had no trouble. They were able to keep them away from the barrier so that it wouldn't weaken. Soon, the demons stopped coming and there was a moment of peace. Everyone stayed silent to regain some of their lost energy, although not much energy was actually spent fighting the low level demons.

Then something broke that silence. Even from outside, a baby's first cries could be heard. Lyra had given birth. There was a new, precious and innocent life amongst them and all unanimously felt the need to protect it. Inukimi smiled, her heart filling with joy. Part of it was due to her finally being a grandmother but for the most part, it was because Sesshomaru was a father. He had a child to call his own and carry on his line. Even Jaken celebrated. Miroku slapped Inuyasha's shoulder and smiled.

"Hey, you're an uncle, Inuyasha."

Inuyasha had never thought of it that way. He only considered that it was Lyra's baby and she and Kagome were so close. But the fact remained that Sesshomaru was still his half brother. Therefore, the baby was in fact his nephew.

"Yeah..." He smiled slightly. "I'm an uncle."

There was a loud rumble, causing everyone to turn in that direction. A purple orb flew in their direction. Inside, Naraku smirked at their attempts of stopping him. But he was surprised by who was there to stop him.

"Well, this is a surprise, Inuyasha." He grinned with amusement. "I thought you brother's despised one another."
Inuyasha wielded Tetsaiga in front of him, glaring at Naraku. "I'm not doing this for him. This is a chance for me to kill you once and for all!"
"I don't think so, Inuyasha. That baby will be mine."
Inukimi stepped forward with an angered frown on her face. "Stay away from my grandson."

With that warning in place, her eyes turned red as her face grew elongated through transformation. A roar filled the air as she fully morphed into her true demon form. Without wasting a second, she leaped into the air and began attacking Naraku's orb as he desperately tried to dodge her.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome ran to them and watched the battle unfold. "When did Naraku get here?"
"Just now. He must have known the baby was born. How's Lyra and the baby?"
"They're both fine."
"Good. Make sure they stay that way."

Not waiting for a response, Inuyasha ran forward to join the fight.

***

They had heard the roar from inside the hut. Naraku had arrived. But Lyra had to pretend not to be scared. One thing she had learned was that babies pick up from the mother's vibes and she didn't want the first thing for Mikazuki to feel was fear. They all knew something was wrong and Sango soon left to hopefully provide some help in their fight.

Lyra was still in the process of breast feeding while Kaede was cleaning away all the blood down below. There was a deadly silence in the tent and Sesshomaru simply couldn't sit back any longer whilst the enemy threatened his family. As much as he would have loved to be a part of their bonding with their new born baby, he couldn't enjoy it knowing Naraku was out there. He stood to leave the hut and Lyra knew there was no point in trying to stop him. He would fight to protect his family. Before he completely left the threshold, he turned back to look at her.

"Stay in here. No matter what happens, you must stay inside until I say otherwise. Only me. Do you understand?"

Sesshomaru had to make sure he made himself perfectly clear so that Lyra wouldn't do anything stupid. Not only that, he knew that if she felt something was wrong, she would definitely do something to help. Not even the condition she was in would be enough to stop her.