Chapter 36

Lyra didn't know why Sesshomaru had gotten so angry at her that he just up and left. Was it truly because she got involved in the matter of the child's father? Or was it something else? She just didn't know.

She waited for him to return that night. She stayed sitting up and staring at the door, hoping that the door would slide open and he would come walking in. More tears fell. No matter how long she waited, he wasn't returning. Slowly, she lay down in bed but stayed facing the door. Her tears fell onto the pillow and soon enough it had become soaked. Burying her face into the pillow, she cried. Her heart was wrenching because she still couldn't understand why he was so angry.

Eventually, she had cried herself to sleep.

***

The next morning, Lyra woke up to the sound of birds. She rubbed her eyes and heard shuffling in the room.

"Sesshomaru?" she gasped as she sat up quickly. "Oh..."

It wasn't him. Sabu and Josei were in there preparing something. They looked at her before bowing their heads.

"Good morning," Sabu greeted. "Lord Sesshomaru had left last night, my Lady."
Lyra sighed quietly. "Yeah. I-I forgot..."

The feeling of sickness suddenly took over and she quickly covered her mouth as she began to retch. Josei rushed over with a wooden bucket and gave it to Lyra. It was just in time as Lyra began to throw up into the bucket. Josei held back her hair as Sabu went over to rub her back.

Once she was done throwing up, they gave her a cloth to wipe her mouth and then a cup of water. Lyra breathed out as Josei took the bucket from her.

"Thank you," she said.
"Lord Sesshomaru informed us before he left that you would be sick in the morning," Josei told her. "And he had the cook prepare dishes for you."

Lyra looked over to where she had found them when she woke up. There was a table full of items for her to choose from. They had opened the doors to the garden as well to allow fresh air in for her. That explained why she could hear birds.

"Did he say anything else before he left?" she asked them hopefully.
"No, my Lady," Sabu answered.

Lyra's heart dropped as it became more heavy. Sabu was saying something to her but Lyra had zoned out as she thought about Sesshomaru. It hurt so bad and it was only getting worse.

"My Lady?" Sabu called when Lyra didn't respond. "Are you okay?"
Lyra shook herself out of it. "Yes, sorry. You were saying?"
"I was wondering if you would like a bath after breakfast."
She put on a small smile. "Yes, please. Thank you."

Sabu nodded before she and Josei left the room. Lyra's stomach began rumbling but she didn't feel like eating. If she wasn't pregnant, she would have completely dismissed the food. However, she had another life to think about. Forcing herself out of bed, she went and sat beside the table of food.

She slowly picked on one of the dishes. The taste didn't reach her taste buds as she chewed on it. More tears welled up in her eyes before falling down her cheeks. After forcing herself to swallow the food, she covered her face with her hands and began to sob quietly.

The bath wasn't as enjoyable as the last time. Sesshomaru was with her the last time they were there. She closed her eyes as she lay back against the bath remembering that day. They had made love in the morning before they bathed together. Sesshomaru had been extremely loving in the bath, kissing her neck and shoulders. She wished she could go back to that moment.

After the bath, she had asked to be left alone. She sat in the private garden, leaning back against one of the posts of the veranda.

The last time she stayed on her own, she didn't feel as lonely as she did now. She hoped she was going to wake up and it would prove to have been just a nightmare. Closing her eyes, she reached up and touched her necklace that Sesshomaru had given her. Since that day, she had never taken it off.