Chapter 16

Lyra didn’t sleep much at all during the night. Once she was all cried out, she spent most of the night wondering what she was going to tell Sesshomaru. She feared that if she told him, he would do something drastic and she was scared her father would actually kill himself. And if she tried to tell Kanda the truth, he would call off the wedding and again, her father would kill himself. She was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Her only option was to remain quiet and continue her act.

Halfway through the night, she tried to look on the bright side of things. If she married Kanda, she knew Sesshomaru would come looking for her. But she would come up with a lie and send him back to the feudal era. Then she would spend her life with Kanda. One day she might learn to truly love him instead of seeing him as just a friend. She would eventually forget about Sesshomaru and the world she fell in love with and pass it off as a vivid dream. She would simply have to move on.

‘This is your life now. Suck it up and get over it, Lyra.’

She didn’t know what time it was when she finally fell asleep but it felt as though she only blinked before the alarm woke her up again. Groaning, she turned onto her side and shut off the alarm. It was 8.30. Her eyes felt sore but she had to get up and get ready before Kanda came to pick her up. She forced herself up and rubbed her eyes.

After going into the bathroom and seeing herself in the mirror, she almost didn’t recognise herself. She looked like a complete mess with dark circles and bags under her eyes to go with it. She took a long shower, spending most of the time simply allowing the water to run down her entire body as she stood under the shower head. When her fingertips began looking like prunes, she switched off the water and dried herself off before getting dressed. She took her time getting ready, opting for some cropped jeans and a loose blouse. She put on some makeup to hide the tiredness in her face, leaving her hair out for it to dry naturally.

Just as she finished getting ready, she received a message from Kanda that he was on his way. She decided to stay inside her room until he arrived. The last thing she wanted was to accidentally run into her father. She still wasn’t in the mood to see or talk to him. Just ten minutes later, she heard a knock on the door. She grabbed her phone and quickly made her way down before opening her door.

“Hi,” she greeted Kanda with a smile.
“Hey,” he smiled back. “Ready to go?”
“Yeah. Just need to put my shoes on.” She quickly put on her boots before stepping out of the house. “At least the sun is out today.”
“It’s pretty warm too,” he added as they made their way to the car.

Lyra suddenly noticed what Kanda was wearing. Every time she saw him, he was always in a suit or he had his grey jacket on top. She had never seen him in casual clothing, wearing jeans and a T-shirt. It was only then she could see how built and muscular he was. She knew her friends were going to go nuts.

“I have to admit it’s odd seeing you without your suit,” she said as they got into the car.
He chuckled. “You’ll get used to it.”
Lyra smiled a little sadly. “Yeah. I guess I will.”
“I was thinking about getting the hospital out of the way first,” he told her as he drove in that direction. “Everyone’s excited to meet you.”
She rose a brow at him, smirking a little. “You told them about me?”
He laughed in embarrassment. “How could I not? You’re the most amazing person I’ve ever met.”
She smiled softly. “Careful. Your compliments are going to get to my head. I’m sure you don’t want a wife with a big ego.”
“You’re extremely modest so I know that will never happen. And besides,” he quickly glanced at her with a smile before looking back at the road. “I’ll love you no matter what happens.”

Lyra’s breath hitched in her throat and she couldn’t stop herself from staring at him in shock. After a few seconds, she blinked a couple of times before turning to look out of the window.