Chapter 56

The guards were extremely surprised to see that Sesshomaru and Lyra had returned after over a month. During their absence they had continued to protect the castle. Sabu as well had been making sure to keep the palace in top order in case they returned at any moment. And she was glad she did. She also took care of Taiyo and Rajah. When she saw that they had Mikazuki with them too, she became even more excited.

Jaken was given his own room, which he loved. He was finally happy to live like a king and wished his mother could have seen him now.

When Sesshomaru and Lyra went to their room, they saw that a small cot had been set up beside their own bed. It made Lyra so happy to be back home and she couldn't wait to sleep in her own bed again. She placed Mikazuki down inside the cot since he was fast asleep and turned to Sesshomaru. He had taken off his armour and swords, placing them on the ground before wrapping his arms around her waist. As he pulled her into him, she raised her brows in surprise.

"You're being awfully affectionate."
"Is it truly awful?" He rested his chin on top of her head. "I'm tired, Lyra." He sighed and closed his eyes. "I believe I may even sleep throughout the night."
She smiled and nuzzled her face into his chest. "Now I can watch you sleep instead," she laughed softly. "I know, let's take a bath. It will help you to relax. I'll ask Sabu to watch over Mikazuki."
He placed a kiss on the top of her head. "I would like that."

A bath was quickly readied for them and they both sat in the hot water. Lyra sat in Sesshomaru's lap as he leaned back and relaxed. He had his eyes closed, his arms wrapped around her stomach as she lay back across his chest. It was so peaceful.

Lyra's thoughts were on what had happened since she had arrived in the feudal era. But only the important moments. Falling in love with Sesshomaru, going on an adventure, finding about her true past, her father, Kanda-

Her eyes suddenly shot open as she sat up. "Holy crap I forgot about Kanda!"
Sesshomaru lifted his head and looked at her. "He's safe," he sighed. "Please don't ruin our time together. You can see him tomorrow."
She turned to face him and breathed out. "Right. Sorry."

She lay back down, this time facing him and burying her face in the crook of his neck. Closing her eyes, she relaxed in his arms and closed her eyes. Sesshomaru was right. Kanda was safe within Inukimi's castle.

After spending a while in the bath, they got out of the water. Sesshomaru was even more relaxed than before and after getting dressed, they both returned to their room. Mikazuki was still sleeping but he was beginning to stir. They got into bed but didn't fall asleep just yet. Lyra was sitting up and thinking about feeding Mikazuki properly. And because she wasn't lying down, Sesshomaru didn't either.

"What is it, Lyra?"
"Who knows when he was fed last," she said. "My baby must be starving."
"He's a demon child. Even children as young as him can go days without eating."
"But he's just a baby..."
"If he's hungry, he'll cry." He held her chin and turned her face to make her look at him. "Now can I sleep in the arms of my wife?"
She tried to hold back her smile as she blushed. "The last time I checked, I wasn't your wife."
"You're as good as. And I don't care if the ritual has taken place of not. I still consider you to be my wife."

She could no longer hide her smile as she leaned towards him and pressed her lips onto his. He moved his hand to the back of her head and kissed her deeply, slowly pushing her to lie down. After sharing a passionate kiss, he slowly pulled away and looked down at her as she opened her eyes.

She smiled at him bashfully. "I love you."
"And I love you, my beloved."

He pecked her lips again before lying down beside her. He wrapped her up in his arms and closed his eyes. Lyra stayed awake and watched him sleep. She was sure it was the first time that she had ever seen him fall asleep and he had done so quite quickly. He truly was tired. After everything they had been through, he deserved to sleep more than anyone.