One Shot #9 ~ Noise complaint (part 2 of 4)

The next morning...
I grunted and checked my alarm clock. It was 7:15am, I was running a little late. I tried to move out of bed, but...I couldn't.

Something was holding me back. I looked over my shoulder through my tired eyes to see Thomas, arms wrapped round me like his life depended on it.

He looked so peaceful, I didn't want to wake him...but I was afraid I'd be late to work if I didn't get up right then.

"Uh...Thomas?" I laughed quietly.

He stirred and his eyes opened slightly. Once he realised what he was doing, he took his warm arms away and looked at me in shock.

"I'm...sorry, uh" he stuttered.

"It's ok, you're used to sleeping next to someone, I get it-" I started.

"I haven't slept next to her for months. I've slept on a sofa because of her." He said, looking me dead in the eye.

I swallowed hard. My blood congealed in my veins.

"I should probably..." I broke the silence awkwardly, pushing the sheets off me. He nodded, breaking eye contact.

"Wait...I was drunk last night, I don't remember much...we didn't...?" He said nervously.

"Oh, god no." I laughed.

"Oh," he said relieved, however there was something else in his voice. No time to unpick, though - no time for distractions if I wanted to pay that month's rent.

A cool shower put my mind back in the right place - after which I hastily got dressed into my work uniform, which was just a T shirt with the Café's logo printed on it and some plain black jeans.
"When do you get off work?" Thomas asked as I was about to leave.

"Six O'clock." I replied.

"I'll be there," he stated and half smiled, half smirked.

"Ok..." I laughed confused.

It was a weekday, so work was quiet. The odd regular customer here and there, so I kept busy with errands around the shop. Before long it was almost closing time - about quarter to six. The day had gone very fast, which was probably because I was alone on my shift that day. That made it far too easy to zone out and let time fly past.

I was just cleaning up the work tops and serving my last customers, when Thomas came in. I smiled relieved, although he was early, he couldn't have come sooner. He came and sat in front of the bar.

"Hey," he said out of breath.

"Hi, you want anything?" I offered.

"Eh...got any ice tea?"

"Yeah, we got strawberry, raspberry and orange."

"I'll get two orange iced teas then please." He grinned.

"Two..? You're really that thirsty?" I laughed.

"One's for you." He said as if I was dumb.
"Oh," I rolled my eyes, pumping the orange syrup into two glasses, "I'm sorry, my brain turns to mush after a shift here. It's been so boring,"
"Makes sense," he chuckled, watching me pour chilled green tea into each glass.

"So how's your day been anyway? Anything eventful?" I asked, digging some ice out of the freezer with a metal scoop.
"No, not really...I just went to the park and sat for a while. I had a lot to think about." He stated, seeming contemplative.
"I see," I replied, carefully guiding the ice into each glass, "And how was that?"
"Pretty good actually. It cleared my head a lot," he sighed. He seemed a lot more relaxed.

"Well that's good to hear," I smiled, passing him his drink over the counter.
"Looks good," He complimented, his gaze following me as I worked my way around to the other side of the bar. We sat in a booth near the back of the cafe.

We chatted for about ten minutes until we had both finished our drinks. Placing the two glasses in the glass washer, I checked the time - it was probably about time I locked up.

Just as I made my way round the bar to do so, however, someone else entered the café. He was tall, with messy dark hair and an angular face. If he didn't look like a total fuckboy, he'd be pretty damn hot.

He eyed he up and down as I walked up to the bar to face him.

"What can I get you?" I smiled.

"Could I just get an Americano to go, please?" He asked, "Sorry if you were about to lock up."

Something in his voice was disingenuous.

"Sure, it's no problem. It won't take a minute," I replied, turning customer-friendly mode back on.

"So..." He started, his voice barely audible over the hissing of the coffee mixer, "what's a girl like you doing working in a place like this?"
"I'm not sure I get what you're on about," I chuckled, looking over my shoulder so he could hear me better.
"Well, you're probably the hottest barista I've seen working around here," He said confidently as I handed him his coffee in a paper takeaway cup. I was slightly shocked at this remark, shooting a look at Thomas as a cry for help.

"This he your boyfriend?" He followed my gaze to Thomas, who had been watching from the booth, seeming amused by the ordeal.

"Well, uh..." I wanted to say yes, that way he'd stop hitting on me. But...I couldn't drag him into this. Not to mention how inappropriate it would be, given the circumstances.

Thankfully, he decided to come to my rescue. Making his way across the tiled floor, hands in pockets, he smiled at the two of us. I smiled back, trying to seem nonchalant (which I clearly wasn't).

"Hey," He said, giving me a half smile. Before I could do so much as react, his hand was on the small of my back. He pulled my body toward him and somehow, despite our height differences, kissed me hard on the mouth - right in front of this stranger. I felt like the wind had been knocked out of me. It was over in a split second, though, and he pulled away, searching my eyes for any sign of disgust.

"Oh...so he is your boyfriend?" The customer asked suspiciously, grabbing my attention.

I was too shocked to reply. I could feel my ears growing hot, my skin bumping with prickly warmth.

"Yeah, I am. I think it would be in your best interest to take your drink and leave." Thomas said protectively, his hand still around my waist.

"I, uh...enjoy?" I stammered as the stranger turned to leave, looking somewhat shaken by the incident.

I breathed out air I didn't know I was holding.

"Sorry about that, you just seemed like you needed help...was it too much?" He said worriedly, taking his hand off me and returning a more platonic amount of space between us.

"No, it was...fine. Thanks." I replied, the prickly blush now creeping across my cheeks.

"Alright...I'm not really sure what came over me," He said jovially, seeming slightly embarrassed.
"Me neither," I admitted, untying my apron and rolling it up, "You really took me off guard there."

He smiled at the ground.

"Let's get outta here." I said, just wanting to be in my own bed again.