One Shot #15 ~ Maze Runner #2

READY FOR ROUND TWO????!!!

_____________________
______________________________
"Hey June," Gally jogged over to me with a devilish smile plastered on his face.
"Not now, Gally," I denied him, continuing on my way to where Newt was working.

"Hey, don't be like that. I just wanted to talk," he said, standing in front of me and stopping me in my tracks.
"For fu-"
"So how are you and Newt? I hear you two have been hooking up," he smirked.
"What? No, were not just 'hooking up'. We're dating, actually." I corrected him.
"Thought so," he finished, a slight fake disappointment in his voice.
"What?" I said frustratedly.
"I thought you guys weren't hooking up. I could never imagine him and you shucking. Unless, of course, I'm wrong?" He asked cockily, somehow being able to tell that we hadn't actually gone further than second base.
"Well-I...--"
"Pftt! I knew it. I bet you haven't even made it past second base! Such a shame he's already getting bored of you," he scoffed and left before I could say anything.

What a shuckface. There was no way he could possibly know that much about us...

...Unless it was really that noticeable...unless he really was getting bored of me--no. No, that couldn't be true.

"Uh...Hey June?" Newt laughed as he walked toward me deep in thought.
"Oh-- uh, hey," I replied quietly.
"Something wrong?" He furrowed his brow.
"No, it's...it's nothing, don't worry." I shrugged it off.
"You sure love?" He came closer, taking one of my hands in his.

"Yep," I sighed and forced a smile. I wasn't sure how exactly to bring up the subject, but now that I came to think of it...it did make sense. I'd tried to initiate something more once before, but he said he wanted to wait. I didn't give it much thought, but now it was eating away at me more and more.

"Alright," he said, although still a little unconvinced, "you up for the bonfire tonight?" He asked, scratching the back of his neck.
"Yeah," I replied, "I've gotta go check something, I'll see you tonight." I finished and left before Newt could protest, walking toward the map room to find a little peace.

When I got there, I just sat on the mapping table and thought for a few minutes, trying my best to think positive, that Newt really did just want to wait a little longer. But part of me couldn't help thinking that he didn't like me in that way, and only wanted to date me because I was, and most likely would always be, the only girl in the glade.

"June? You in here?" A familiar voice entered my thoughts.
"Huh-"
"What're you doing in here?" Newt laughed.
"Oh, I just...I needed a little alone time," I swallowed hard, "you know, to think and stuff."
"Really? What's on your mind? Seriously, something's up and I need you to tell me if I'm going to fix it," he came closer, half-smiling, and pushed my hair behind my ear.
"It's noth-"
"June, please just tell me what's making you so...not you," he pleaded.

"Ok...ok, fine. But it's stupid, so please don't laugh," I looked up and made eye contact.
"Ok..." he replied, his brow furrowed. He walked backward and leaned against the wall, as if to give me some space.

"So...I was coming to see you earlier, and, well, Gally came up to me--"
"Gally? What did he say to you? Did he hurt you?" He began to worry, standing upright and tense.
"No, newt," I laughed nervously, "just listen." I smiled a little.
"Ok. Sorry. Carry on," he replied, leaning back against the wall again.

"So...he came up to me and we were talking. You know, about us, and he asked if we were 'hooking up'. Obviously I said no, that we were dating, not just hooking up," I paused and took a deep breath, "and he said he knew it. He said he could tell we hadn't even 'made it past second base.'"