Lifetimes ~ Short Story #1 (part one)

So yeah guys my first short story 😂 I had a few good ideas that I can't cram into a One Shot so I decided to start a short story series 😊 might be the only one I do or maybe I'll do loads more, I don't know yet!!

______________________
___________________________

"Hazel," Ellie laughed, sending the hot steam from her coffee in front of her eyes.

"Sorry Elle. Go on," I replied apologetically. I often zoned out, trying to clear my head.

"So I told her she was completely out of it order to kick me out of the store. Wasn't she?" She said.
"Well...to be fair, you did mistake her for a childhood bully of yours and call her-" I started.

"I know what I called her, no need to remind me." She said stubbornly and took a sip of her coffee.

"Alright, Elle." I teased.
"Don't say it like that, you make it sound like I'm crazy!" she complained.
"Well...you kinda are." I chuckled.

It seemed she was about to say something when something else got her attention. Or more like someone.

He just stood there for a second. His gaze met mine briefly, his dark eyes pulling in mine.

Elle swallowed hard.
"Go away. Can't you see we're trying to have a conversation here?" She said a little anxiously.

"No you're not." He snapped back at Elle.
"Piss off!" She cursed and smacked her hand on the table.

He gave a defeated look, and turned his head to see me again. His eyes searched mine for no longer than 2 seconds, before walking to the door purposefully.

"Who was that?" I laughed, I'd never seen Elle get so angry so fast.
"No one. It was no one." She said seriously. My laughed died quickly and was replaced with an awkward silence.

She checked her watch and told me she needed to go.
"Remember. Eight o'Clock tonight Elle, don't be late. And no boys!" I told her sternly.

"Pft! As if I could ever get a boy," she laughed and left after saying goodbye.

I was alone now, but that was ok. I liked sitting alone in that place in the Café, I had a perfect view of memorial park. The leaves blanketing the soft ground were golden ember oranges and reds.

I sighed and had a drink of cinnamon chai, my all time favourite autumn drink. Everyone knew that.

My thoughts suddenly averted to that weird guy. Who the hell was he? He just butted in, and Elle seemed pretty angry. I mean, she's a fiery red head, but fiery doesn't really cover what I saw. She hated that guy, she must've known him somehow.

Did he know me? It seemed like it. But I didn't remember him at all, not even his face, his voice...nothing.

"This seat taken?" I turned to see the holder of the voice, only to almost spill my drink all over my new skater dress. It was him again. It was the guy.

"Uh- I'm...no...?" I stuttered.
"Good." He smiled and sat down opposite to me. I drank again, trying to play it cool.

"Do you know my name?" He asked.
"Should I?" I laughed and set my cup down on the oak wood table.

"No. No, you shouldn't. You--" he was cut off by his own gulp. His eyes glassed over briefly, but he lowered them to hide it.
"This was a mistake. Sorry for intruding, I should go." He left quickly, staring at the floor.

That was weird. I thought. Was I supposed to know him? I looked out the window and watched him leave. He stopped and turned around to face me.

There was so much sadness in his eyes. So much pain. He turned again and walked away with his hands in his pockets, crossing the street and disappearing around the corner.

I turned back to my coffee, watching the steam dance and disappear in the warm air. I opened my phone to text Ellie, only to notice a droplet of water landing on my screen. I looked up to the ceiling expecting a leak, only to realise it was coming from me.

I was crying. For no reason. A pit was growing in my stomach, like a yearning. A deep sadness. I wiped my face and huffed. It was time to leave.