One shot #34 (part two) ~ Storefront

Oh god.

      Oh no.

           Oh fuck.

It happened so fast.
I was attracted to him.
It was irreversible.

There was nothing I could do but gaze at him with an empty pit in my stomach. I didn't even know what it was about him that made me attracted to him.

...Actually...that's a lie. I did know why I was attracted to him. Everything from his sheepish awkwardness to his messy blond hair and his strong jaw, and his dark eyes and his crooked half smile smile—

Stop, Emily. Jesus, I thought to myself, trying to avert my gaze.

"Emily?" Thomas peaked past the oversized 'Surf's up' T shirt I was hiding behind.
"Yea?" I replied quietly as the last customer left the shop.
"What's up...?" He asked, a joking expression and a confused frown.
"Nothing, I'm just, uh...," I started, panicking ever so slightly, "...Nothing,"
He let out a small chuckle before making his way to me.

"Actually, I was meaning to, uh...ask you something," He started, his confident demeanour shifting slightly.
"What was it?" I asked.

Oh god. Please stop talking to me before I make a complete embarrassment of myself and my family name—

"So....I was wondering if I could buy you dinner a few drinks later on?"
"Uhm...," Was all I could say. I was stunted.
Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfu—

"It's ok," He said after a pause with a disheartened smile, "Maybe another time—,"
"Nonono," I stopped him, "What I meant was, uh...I'd love to," I shrugged.

"You would?" He questioned, his whole expression lighting up.
"Yeah, of course," I smiled.
He glanced down at his feet, trying to contain his smile.

"I have to just finish up cleaning the displays but after that we should be able to close early, seeing as the tide's almost in," I explained.
"I'll help," he said without missing a beat.
"...Never heard you so enthusiastic to clean," I commented with a chuckle, leaning down and gathering the dusty shells which scattered the window ledge.
"Eh," he shrugged, making his way to the other side of the display, "Just having a good day I guess,"

It only took twenty minutes to finish the display with him helping. We placed shiny new shells onto the ledge, with buckets and spades and crab lines and glass beads to decorate it.

"Looks good," I said, stepping back, "I think we'll be able to close a whole hour before half six,"
"I'll go grab my coat and then we can go," He said, disappearing behind the counter.
"Where do you wanna go?" He asked.
"There's a place with a nice view just down the road," I said, flipping the sign to 'closed'.
"Sounds good," He smiled, following me out of the shop.

I'll spare the boring details. Obviously, the evening was great. My face hurt from smiling and laughing so much. I even learned that he actually had a phobia of the sea, and had no idea what he was doing working next to it.

"Do you want me to walk you home?" He asked politely, his hands firmly in his coat pockets.
"Well, I mean...," I started, "It's right there," I pointed at my yellow cottage up the side of the valley, facing the sea.
"Oh...," He shrugged, "I'll walk you anyway,"
"Sure," I chuckled.