One shot #35 - Lt. Sangster

I stood awkwardly outside Captain Daniels' office, peering through the glass door at a dishevelled Lieutenant. A nervous perspiration lined the creases of my palms. Their muffled conversation was only just audible from where I was standing.

"I don't need a partner. I've always worked on my own," The Lieutenant argued.

"Lieutenant, this isn't up for debate. Our new detective needs some guidance, and you're our best," Daniels reasoned, "You will take her with you, no negotiation."

"Come on, Daniels," The lieutenant pleaded, "Can't she just go with Detective Reed instead? Why me?"
"Sangster, that's enough." Daniels stood from his chair, shoulders stoic and his voice raised, "If you really can't cooperate, I'll be forced to suspend you from homicide-"
"Alright, alright!"

The captain resumed his seated position.

"Fine." His voice lowered, "But if she starts getting in my way, it's me or her. Alright?"
"Well, let's just hope it doesn't come to that. Now if you'd excuse me, lieutenant."

I panicked as I heard a set of heavy footsteps approach the office door. I scurried away, trying not to make it obvious that I had been listening in. He stepped out of the office, shutting the glass door hard behind him - I was surprised when it didn't shatter into a million pieces. Perhaps the shards would join me, when I melted into the scratchy carpet with embarrassment.

The first thing I noticed was that he looked pissed. His sandy hair was a mess, his dark and glaring at me. I cowered, but still decided I should introduce myself.

"Detective Anderson." I held my hand out and smiled sheepishly to greet him, but he ignored this gesture.
"I know." He brushed past me and sat at his desk. I noticed that he smelled nice - contrasting greatly to his shitty demeanour.

I followed him, stopping to the side of his desk.

"Lieutenant...I realise that my being here is a nuisance to you," He scoffed, still not making eye contact, "And I'd like you to know that I'm sorry about that. I had no say in who I was placed with."

"Yeah, well, it is what it is." He said flatly, before looking up to meet my eyes, "Just stay out of my way, and we won't have any problems. Do you understand?"

I was taken aback by this. I almost felt as if he were threatening me - maybe this was his usual behaviour. His gaze was heavily guarded.

I nodded, just wanting to diffuse the situation, "I understand. I'll do my best not to get in the way."

He nodded subtly before lowering his eyes back to his work. I glanced around the office, searching for my desk.

"Your desk is there." He emotionlessly gestured to the desk opposite his, as if he'd seen my lost expression.

"Oh...thanks."

I made my way to my workspace and sat down. I realised I had nothing to do, so I thought maybe I should try and ease the tension between me and my new partner.

"Lieutenant?"
"What is it." He replied, frustration stinging his words like venom.
"Am I right in saying that you became the youngest lieutenant this precinct?" I asked quietly.
"Yes." He sighed, not looking up from his monitor.

I nodded awkwardly, disappointed that I was unable to start a conversation.
Maybe I should just give him some space.