Chapter Six- VMAs (Part One)

1st November, 1991

Beyoncés Pov

I twirled around in my formal dress and smiled. "Gianni it's perfect!" I pulled him into a hug and he kissed my cheek. "Ah yes you need such a wonderful ensemble to release your single" "shh that's a secret!" We both broke out laughing and I sat down near a lighted mirror while a hair stylist worked their magic. "Well Miss Beyoncé I must take my leave but good luck for tonight"

I nodded and sighed looking at my reflection. "See you V"

That night...

I stared out the window as we approached the arena where the Video Music Awards were being held this year and bit my lip. There was no doubt Michael would be here tonight, we were both being nominated. I couldn't believe that I was nominated for best pop video... it wasn't even released yet! After Michael and I broke up I decided to start recording again but this time solo. He inspired me but I still had to tell Kelly and Michelle, they would be here tonight we had seats together.

The limo stopped outside of the arena and I scrambled to get out. My security was everywhere and the flashing lights were nauseating. I walked down the red carpet slowly and waved to the crowd. I wasn't in the mood to give any interviews right now. "BEY!" I spun around and saw Michelle stop by my side. "Girl we need to talk" she whispered. "I know"

"Beyoncé!!" The crowd was roaring at me so I needed to get inside before I actually got sick but suddenly everyone's attention went to the other side of the carpet. "Michael Jackson is here!!!" The screams got even louder and the flashing cameras were out of control. I caught a glimpse of Michael signing autographs by some fans and pulled Michelle to the entrance before he saw me.

 I caught a glimpse of Michael signing autographs by some fans and pulled Michelle to the entrance before he saw me

I sat down and sighed in relief. "Beyoncé will y'all tell me what's going on already!?" Michelle asked in annoyance. "I'm pregnant okay. There I said it!" I snapped glaring at her. "WHAT!!!" I looked up and saw Kelly gawking at me like a damn fish. "You still missed rehearsals" Michelle muttered. "I missed rehearsal?! That's all you got to say?? Fuck you" Tears started running down my cheeks. I can't believe she's being so insensitive!

"Beyoncé chill, we'll work it out. Let's talk about it later okay?" Kelly added. She rubbed my arm and pulled me into a hug. I could see her glaring at Michelle as well. "Okay" I sat back in the chair and cleaned my makeup with a tissue. "So when are we performing?"
"At 7:30 it's going to be awesome! We've never done this before" Michelle said excitedly. I bit my tongue and looked away. I had to let it go, for tonight anyway. That's when I saw the last person I wanted to see tonight. Michael was sitting a few seats away from us. He was with Quincy Jones and... Brooke Shields!

"Motherfucker!" Kelly and Michelle both looked at me like I was crazy and then looked at each other. "You okay?" They asked in unison. "No I'm not fucking okay! Look!" I pointed at Michael and Brooke getting all comfortable together and seethed in anger.

How could he do this to me? Did he even care? Or was I just a game for him, a little bit of fun on the side?

Instead of getting angry I just stared at them, feeling my heart breaking at the image right in front of me. I couldn't hold it back anymore as silent tears poured down my face for the whole world to see.
€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

"It's gonna be okay Bey" Kelly reassured me as I sat in the dressing room flooded with tears. "How do you know that? He loves her" I stuttered in between hiccups. "I am never trusting a guy again!" I blew my nose and threw another tissue in the bin. "I doubt that, he seemed pretty serious from what you told me"

"Yeah what I told you! Obviously I don't know anything" Kelly sighed and stood up walking to the couch. She fell down on it and grabbed a bottle of vodka. "Pour me some?"
"Wish I could B" she said before taking a swig straight from the bottle. "Where's Michelle?" I asked changing the subject as someone fixed my hair and makeup for our performance. "I don't know probably watching the show"

I rolled my eyes and stood up to adjust my costume. "I'm worried about her" I admitted looking over my shoulder at Kelly. She raised her eyebrows at me over a magazine and chuckled. "She's probably thinking the same thing" I shook my head as I finished adjusting my clothes. "I hope so".

"Five minutes Destinys Child!" Someone announced over the intercom. "You ready?" Kelly asked linking arms with me. "As I'll ever be" We walked out of the dressing room and headed towards the stage with a couple of bodyguards around us. I felt more anxious as we arrived backstage and prayed no one would notice my small baby bump. My costume didn't cover enough and I had to rely on makeup to hide it. I noticed Michelle hanging out with some of the other performers and felt a little better but honestly I was just trying not to hurl by this point...

 I noticed Michelle hanging out with some of the other performers and felt a little better but honestly I was just trying not to hurl by this point

Destinys Child VMAs costumes)

The lights dimmed and the crowd was cheering louder than before. A stage manager gestured us onstage and Kelly dragged me out. I couldn't get myself to stop thinking as the music started. Michael was directly in front of me, in the audience watching intensely. At that moment I couldn't help myself but to take a different approach than I usually would. If Michael wanted drama then damn it he was going to get it!

"Now that you're out of my life, I'm so much better

You thought that I'd be weak without you, but I'm stronger

You thought that I'd be broke without you, but I'm richer

You thought that I'd be sad without you, I laugh harder

Thought I wouldn't grow without you, now I'm wiser

Thought that I'd be helpless without you, but I'm smarter

You thought that I'd be stressed without you, but I'm chillin'

You thought I wouldn't sell without you, sold nine million!"