Chapter Ten: Its Time For The Truth

5th November, 1991

Beyoncé's Pov

"So you are pregnant?" Lola asked looking down at my belly. "Yeah but you don't understand I didn't know! Jay and I never planned a thing. It was just us living in the moment" I explained. Lola looked down and sighed deeply. "I do understand Bey, it's the world that won't. Jay Z has planned his story to a T. You need to make sure you sound convincing. Each and every detail has to be ready" she replied. I fell back on the couch and covered my face with my hands. "I've lost everything Lola" I admitted.

She crouched down next to the couch and placed a hand on my stomach. "No you haven't" she urged. I placed my hand just below hers and felt my small baby bump. "Okay, I know I have him but I'm not even ready to have a baby. This isn't how I planned it!" I exclaimed. She smirked at me and nodded. "When does life ever go as planned?"
———————————————

I walked down the street, swarmed by bodyguards, paparazzi and fans. I kept my head down and walked into the building where I was doing my interview.

"Beyonce!" I looked up as I got inside and smiled at Oprah. I don't know how Lola got her to agree to do an interview on such short notice but it was a no brainer to let her do it. I smiled and hugged her. "Hey thanks for agreeing to this" I said appreciatively. "Agree? I jumped at the opportunity to talk to someone as talented as you!" I blushed and followed her through to a quiet room set up with filming equipment. It looked a lot like a lounge room. You would have no idea we were in the middle of a business building.

After a few minutes of setting up we both sat down and the director started filming.
"So Beyonce how are you doing? It's been a while since you've done a televised interview. What's happening?" Oprah asked. I chewed on my bottom lip and thought about how to answer.

"Well Oprah I guess I was just busy. Y'know I've been busy in the recording studio and just living life" I replied calmly. She nodded and rested her head on her hand rubbing her chin in thought. "Well then it does sound like you've had your hands full. What's it like to live a day as Beyonce? I mean it must be glamorous."

I laughed and smiled in embarrassment. "Well it can be. I do get to live my dream. I travel and sing all over the world and meet a lot of people" I said. "Oh come on we want the dirt!" She joked. "What about the VMAs? You won your first one ever and as a solo artist. Aren't you still a member of Destinys Child?" She insisted. "Yeah I was really happy about that. I feel very blessed."

Oprah raised her eyebrows at me and leaned forward slightly. "And the group?" I hesitated and frowned slightly. "I have always written my own music. It's usually emotional, something I'm going through and I find it therapeutic to write about the good and the bad... now I'm just sharing those stories with the world" I explained. Oprah looked unsatisfied with my answer but I wasn't ready to say I was leaving the group. Now wasn't the time or place.

"Alright. What about your relationship with Michael Jackson? There are rumours that he gave you the idea to go solo. Don't you owe him some credit? After all you were competing for the same award." She asked. I shook my head and forced myself to keep it together. "I respect Michael very much and he does inspire me but starting a solo career was my idea" I said fiercely.

"But you were in a relationship with him?" She urged. "Yes" I mumbled. "You heard it here people! But I can't ignore the fact that you both have been speculated to have abused Jay Z" she stated. I shook my head repeatedly and gritted my teeth. "He has been lying. Simple. I never abused him. In fact he abused me!" I admitted. Oprah gasped slightly and passed me a tissue as tears started trickling down my cheeks. "So what actually happened the night you split?" I cleared my throat and looked at her very seriously.

"We have been split for months. He has texted, emailed, called me and showed up at my apartment because he wants to get back together but I've refused every, single, time. That night I was at a party to perform and Michael pulled me aside to talk. When I left Jay showed up out of nowhere and started threatening me. He is the perpetrator" I insisted. Oprah looked at me with sorrowful eyes and nodded.

"So was he lying about the pregnancy?" She asked. I bit my lip and looked around the room anxiously. I was hoping she wouldn't ask this. "I- he will say anything for a story. To get people on his side" I said, avoiding the question. "Right, well I do have to ask. Why would you have ever gotten into a relationship with someone who was abusive?"

"I didn't know" I replied simply. "Uh huh. So Beyonce do you have anything you want to say to Jay Z... or Michael?" She asked. I widened my eyes at her and nodded sheepishly. "I just want Michael to know that I'm sorry" I stated. "Why are you sorry?"

"I can't say Oprah. There's a line I won't cross for my personal life and my relationship with Michael is that line."
———————————————

I walked into my quiet apartment, my heels clicking on the tiles and stopped in the kitchen. I stared at the counter where my prenatal vitamins were. I shook my head and swiped the bottle up and swallowed one.