6. Date Night Interrupted

"Hola amigos" I smile as I place down my tray on Tuesday afternoon during lunch. Morning classes were boring as per usual but I wasn't too excited about my afternoon with Josh either. My friends look up at me and smile, a smirk pulling at Lucas' lips.

"I heard you had an interesting day yesterday" he teases as he locks his gaze onto mine. I knew I shouldn't have told Riley about Josh becoming my mentor but she was my best friend.

"Fuck off Huckleberry" I snip, grabbing my milk and taking a sip. "I don't need your sass."

"I still can't believe it" Riley says, shaking her head in amazement. "You don't still like him do you?" she asks curiously, raising an eyebrow at me. I lower my gaze and shake my head.

"Of course not" I insist though I knew that wasn't true. I wouldn't ever truly get over Josh.

"Convincing" Lucas mumbles, bringing a chip to his lips. I shoot him a glare but decide not to push it because Riley didn't seem to hear.

"How are your assignments going?" I ask curiously, changing the subject. Lucas had gotten veterinarian of course while Riley had gotten elementary school teacher.

"Awful." Riley replies at the same moment Lucas replies "awesome." I chuckle, looking betwen my best friends with furrowed brows.

"What's wrong with your assignment Riles?"

"It's at an elementary school" she exclaims. "What social issue am I gonna find? Boys get more animal crackers during snack time than girls."

"That is a serious issue" I exclaim making Riley roll her eyes as I let out a soft laugh.

"Whatever" she grumbles. "This assignment is a nightmare."

"No arguments here" I reply as the bell rings, signaling the end of the lunch period. I sigh, grabbing my tray and standing up. We all walk over to dispose of our garbage and put away our trays before heading out towards the parking lot. "I'll see you guys tomorrow" I call over my shoulder as I reach my car.

"See you tomorrow" they shout back in unison as we part ways.

~ 🚔 ~

I'm sitting at my desk waiting for Maya to get here so I can head off on patrol. I spot Brianna walking past my window and shake my head as memories of last night fill my head. I knew sleeping with her again would only serve to give her the wrong idea but my drunken memories didn't do her justice. She was definitely skilled in the bedroom. A soft knock on my door breaks me out of my thoughts as it creaks open. A flash of blonde hair swings forward as Maya walks in.

"Sorry I'm late" she apologizes as she shuts the door. "Traffic was a bitch" she says making me chuckle. I glance at my clock realizing she is indeed seven minutes late.

"No problem" I shrug. "Didn't even notice" I admit as I stand up and wander over to her. "How was school?"

"Boring" she sighs, running her fingers through her hair. "I cannot wait to be done." I chuckle at her, remembering the days when I was counting down to my own graduation day.

"I'm sure" I give as I grab the keys to my patrol car. "You ready to head out?"

"Um sure" she shrugs. "That is why I'm here" she adds awkwardly.

"True" I give, "you want something before we go? Coffee, pastry?"

"Coffee would be great" she exclaims making me laugh. Her obsession with the caffeinated beverage seemed to match my own. I lead her to the break room and point to the coffee maker while I move towards the snack cabinet.