24. Preparing for the Future

I immediately snap out of my trance and hop off my couch, grabbing my keys and storming out of my apartment. "Where are you?"

"My bathroom. I'm locked in."

"Stay there until I get there" I instruct before hanging up. I climb into my car and race towards Maya's house. I park a couple houses down and walk as casually as I can manage. When I finally reach her house a breath of relief falls from my lips when I see Riley leaning against the siding.

"Uncle Josh?" she asks confused, quirking an eyebrow at me.

"What are you doing?" I demand as I walk up to her.

"Trying to visit Maya" she says as if this should be obvious.

"Why didn't you just go in the front door?" I question in confusion. She gnaws her bottom lip, kicking at what I believe to be an invisible rock.

"I don't know" she shrugs. I shake my head. I was a cop, I knew better. I could call anyone on their bullshit, especially my family.

"Riles."

"I just needed to talk to her" she says softly.

"Why didn't you call her?"

"Left my phone at home. I was kinda in a hurry" she admits. I nod in understanding.

"Just hold on a sec" I say softly as I reach for my phone. I dial Maya's number and she picks up on the first ring. "Gorgeous open up" I tell her. "It's just Riles."

She lets out a breath of relief and not a minute later the window is flying open. I help Riley climb in before climbing in after her. "Sorry" Maya apologizes.

"It's okay" Riley says softly. "Can I borrow your bathroom?" she asks making Maya's eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"Sure. Why?" Riley takes a deep breath as she reaches into her back pocket and pulls out a pregnancy test.

~ 🚔 ~

I can't stop pacing and it's not even my damn test.

"Maya please sit" Josh pleads.

"My best friend might be becoming a mother and you want me to sit down?" I whisper yell.

"Yes I do" he replies. I scoff, shaking my head. "What?" he questions.

"I texted you earlier. After school. To finish our little conversation" I point out. "And you didn't respond."

"I was busy" he shrugs. I shake my head, continuing to pace the room.

"Bullshit" I call. "Jesus Josh. You'd think for a cop that you'd be better at lying."

"What's that supposed to mean?" he demands, standing up in anger.

"You spend all day seeing through everyone's bullshit yet you can't even tell a simple lie to the girl you're fooling around with."

"Maya-."

"So that's it huh?" I snap. "A teacher opens her mouth and that's the end of it. Of us." I demand, crossing my arms over my chest in anger.

"It's complicated Maya."

"No shit" I snip. "Life is full of complications Josh. My best friend is taking a pregnancy test right now!" I exclaim. "But what I'm confused about is what changed. You've known all along that being with me in any way could screw up your life yet you pursued me anyway" I pause watching him thinking over his reponse.

"The job offer" I guess expectantly. "You don't want to lose it. All this talk about me being more important-."

"Guys" Riley says softly as she walks back into my bedroom. I immediately snap my attention from Josh to my best friend.

"So?" I ask softly.

"Negative" she lets out a breath of relief. A smile tugs at my lips as I pull her in for a hug.

"Thank god" I sigh, hugging her tight. "Be more careful honey" I lecture softly. "I wanna be an aunt but not yet."

She giggles, nodding as we pull apart. "We will be" she assures me while looking between Josh and I. "But what's going on here?"

~ 🚔 ~

I sit quietly while Maya explains everything to Riley. I watch as her face changes with every new detail Maya gives her and by the end of it I think Riley is just as frustrated with me as Maya seems to be. "So are you gonna take it?" Riley asks me expectantly. I sigh, rubbing my neck.

"Can I have a minute with Maya?" I ask bluntly. Riley rolls her eyes but stands regardless.

"I'll see you later Peaches" she smiles, leaning down for a hug. She whispers something in her ear and Maya nods in agreement before Riley climbs back out the window leaving Maya and I alone.

"Look" she sighs. "I get it. It's an amazing opportunity and we're a mess-."

"Just stop" I snap, closing the small distance between us. "I don't know okay? I have no right answer for how the fuck to deal with whatever this mess is between us. But I want you, I want you so much that it pains me to think of hurting you but by pursing you, I'm hurting you. I'm ruining your future."

"Leave my future to me" she snaps. "If there wasn't all the red tape and we were just two people who happened to cross paths what would've happened?" she demands. I take one look into her deep blue eyes and crash my lips onto hers.

~ 🚔 ~

I stumble backwards from the force of his lips on mine. I wrap my arms around his neck and let my fingers loose through his hair. When he abruptly releases me I'm breathless and reeling. "You really wanna risk everything for this?" he questions. "Because sweetheart I promise you I'm not worth it" he says softly, caressing my cheek.

"You don't get to decide that" I argue. "I want this. I want you" I insist, tugging at the hair at the nape of his neck.

He sighs, resting his forehead against mine. "If we manage to get through this without being busted" he pauses, taking a deep breath. "I'm gonna take the job" he whispers making my heart stop but the soothing circles he's drawing in the skin of my back keep me calm. "If you really want to" he takes a deep breath, "I want you to come with me." My heart flutters as a smile pulls at my lips.

"Yes" I whisper, pressing my lips to his in a soft kiss. He caresses my cheek, swiping his tongue across my bottom lip. I open my mouth to his, giving him dominance of the kiss freely. It felt good to trust someone the way I trusted Josh. I knew he'd never push me into something I wasn't ready for.

He pulls back abruptly, panting heavily. "I should go" he says breathlessly.

"You probably should" I agree as I play with the fabric of his loose t-shirt.

He chuckles, removing my hand an bringing his up to caress my cheek. "You sound very convinced."

"I'm not" I admit with a giggle, "but regardless of what my hormones are telling me I know I'm not ready."

He smiles, rubbing his thumb over my cheek. "Someday sweetheart."

"Someday" I agree as a smile tugs at my lips. I reach up to leave a soft peck to the corner of his mouth and pull away slowly, gazing into his deep blue eyes for a long second. "I love you" I whisper nervously.

I watch him pause, clearly in shock before reaching forward, clutching my face between his hands and pressing a long, lingering kiss to my lips before pulling back and smiling at me brightly. "I love you too sweetheart" he says softly. "I love you too."