30. Danger Zone

Waking up on Friday is bittersweet. I know that by the end of the night Maya will be safe but I also know that there's a fifty-fifty chance that I won't be.

I was serious when I told Zeke that I'd give my life for Maya's but coming face to face with death was scary. There were plenty of things I still wanted to do but all of them included Maya. Without her I had nothing.

"Are you cooking?" I laugh, walking into the kitchen and finding my niece hovering over the stove.

"I'm keeping busy" she replies. "You hungry?"

"Not even a little bit" I shake my head. "I could use some coffee though." She nods, turning to pour me a cup before sliding it across the counter towards me. "You alright?" I ask, taking a sip of my coffee.

"Not even a little bit" she repeats my words. I nod in understanding as I cup my hands around my mug. "I'll feel better tonight when you're both home and safe" she adds seriously.

"Me too" I smile softly. "But uh how long is an appropriate amount of time to wait to break up with someone after being kidnapped?" I ask sadly causing Riley's eyes to bug out of head.

"Excuse me?" she exclaims.

I sigh, averting my gaze to my coffee. "Shawn told me I have to stay away from her."

"And?" she questions. "Maya is an adult. She doesn't have to listen to them."

"Riles-."

"No" she cuts me off causing me to lift my gaze to hers. "Maya is an adult and you can't make this decision for her. Once you're together again you'll lay everything out on the table and she'll make a decision. This is her life too Josh. Not just yours."

She was right. I had to let Maya make this decision. It just felt wrong to make her choose between me and her family.

"I know" I nod. "But she shouldn't have to decide."

"I agree" Riley nods. "But if she has to she will and you can't stop her. Promise me you won't break her heart Josh. It took her a long time to trust you again."

"I promise" I assure her. "But first we gotta find her."

~ 🚔 ~

Party preparations keep Aiden busy thankfully and I just hope that tonight will be my last night down here.

I'm hungry and my limbs are screaming in pain. I just wanted to curl up in Josh's arms and sleep for days.

Josh. I missed him like crazy. I hated being away from him, it was worse torture than simply being tied up down here.

I could only imagine what he's had to go through to even begin to find me. He probably had to tell the department about us which in turn probably meant my parents knew too.  I remember my mom's cold words, telling me that I'm too young for him but I didn't care and I still don't. Josh is my soulmate and after this was all over we'd figure everything out. Together.

~ 🚔 ~

"This is a horrible idea" Zeke mutters as I park the squad car a couple blocks down. I sigh, putting the car in park and leaning back in my seat.

"Do you have a better idea?" I ask curiously. "Because if you have another way to get my girlfriend out of that house alive then I'm all ears."

He shakes his head, letting out an aggrivated sigh. "No. I have nothing "

"That's what I thought" I reply victoriously. "You go get my girl and I'll go upstairs to distract Aiden."

"I still think you're underestimating this girl of yours. She's strong Josh and she doesn't take bullshit. She's not going to let me detain her for no reason while you're in danger."