32. Dealing with the Consequences

Waking up the next morning I find it hard to convince myself this isn't a dream. I look down at Maya, watching as her lips part with every breath she exhales and I'm in disbelief that she's really safe.

My phone blares on my nightstand and I curse as Maya stirs beside me. "Josh?" she panics as her eyes fly open and she shoots up from under the blankets.

"Hey, hey. You're okay sweetheart. I'm right here" I assure her as I reach for my phone and look down at the caller ID. I groan as Shawn's name flashes on the screen. "Fuck."

"What's wrong?" Maya asks, terror dripping from her voice.

"It's your father" I grumble, pressing answer before bringing it to my ear. "Hello?"

"It's after noon where is my daughter?" he yells. I glance at my clock and notice that it is indeed actually almost one in the afternoon.

"It was a long night Shawn. She's still asleep" I lie to buy us a bit more time. "I gotta take her to the station to give her statement and then I'll drop her at home."

"No" Maya interjects, tugging my arm. "Gimmie the phone."

"Maya" I grumble as she wrestles the phone from my grip and presses it to her ear.

~ 🚔 ~

"Hello Shawn."

"Do not start that shit Maya. I'm your father."

"Oh yea?" I demand angrily. "Well as your daughter I'd hope that you'd trust my choices and respect them but it seems that's the opposite of the reality of the situation based on what's been demanded of me. I'm eighteen and I don't need your permission to date Josh."

"Maya" he sighs. "I'm looking out for you. He only wants one th-."

"Don't you dare finish that sentence" I seethe as I climb off the bed and pace the floor. "If that were the case then he would've assaulted me in his bathroom last night while we showered but he didn't because he respects me. I love him and I'll come and see you and mom but I'm not staying."

"Kiddo you can't just decide-."

"I just did" I cut him off. "I'll see you soon" I add, hanging up the phone and tossing it onto the bed.

Josh stares at me wide-eyed. "Did you just imply that you're moving in?"

I smile, shrugging my shoulders. "So what if I did?"

His lips break into the biggest smile I've ever seen as he stands up and scoops me into his arms. "God I love you."

I giggle, leaning back and pressing my lips to his in a soft kiss. "I love you too."

~ 🚔 ~

"You need to eat" I insist, pushing a plate of pancakes into my girlfriend's hands while she stares blankly at the television screen.

"I'm really not hungry" she argues, placing the plate on the coffee table.

"When was the last time you ate?" I demand causing her to cast her eyes downward. I sigh, grabbing the plate and placing it back on her lap. "Please eat at least one pancake."

She looks up at me and nods her concession as she picks up her fork and places a bite into her mouth. "Thank you" I smile softly as I dig into my own breakfast. I let the silence hang around us for a long while until finally I speak up. "Are you gonna wanna give your statement alone today?"

"Is that an option?" she asks, glancing up at me through her thick lashes.

"Yea" I nod. "Or I could be there or if you don't wanna talk about what happened with me in the room I could get Zeke-."