9. Long Day

"Should I block him?" I ask Riley as we stand by our lockers on Monday morning.

"Just tell him it's over" she shrugs. "Then block him" she adds making me chuckle. The warning bell rings and the two of us head off to class. "You haven't told Josh have you?" she asks, gnawing her bottom lip as we walk into class.

I bite the inside of my lip and shake my head. "Of course not" I lie. I had told Riley about the two times that Aiden had tried to force himself on me but I conveniently left out the oart about Josh catching us and digging into his criminal background.

"Good" she sighs. I furrow my eyebrows at her as I take my seat.

"Why would it matter though?" I ask confused.

"I don't know" Riley sighs, running her fingers through her hair. "It just always kinda seemed like he never really got over you." My heart stops and I try to keep my breathing even but it's difficult when your best friend drops a bomb like that.

"He doesn't" I insist. "He has long since moved on. Trust me." I think of all the girls he's probably slept with in the past three years and shake my head adamantly. "He definitely doesn't like me anymore" I say definitively.

"I hope not" she says seriously. "I watched you get your heart broken once. I don't want to see you go through that again."

"Thanks Riles" I smile as our teacher walks into the room, ending our conversation.

~ 🚔 ~

By the time one o'clock rolls around I'm waiting for Jessica to get to station. In her statement she said she got to work at 7 in the morning but she didn't clock in until 7:21. The discrepancy was enough to warrant bringing her in for further questioning. "Josh" Brianna drawls, catching my attention.

"What's up Bri?" I ask without looking up from my paperwork.

"Jessica just walked in as did your shadow" she says making my head whip up. I had lost track time, I wasn't ready to head out today. I sigh, shaking my head.

"I'm heading down to interrogation, could you grab Maya and walk her down there?" I ask hopefully.

"You're gonna let her watch?" she gapes.

"Jessica won't know" I shrug, "and it's a good learning opportunity. Can you do it or should I ask Zeke?"

"No, no" she shakes her head. "I got her" she smiles.

"Great" I reply unenthusiastically as I stand up. "Thank you Bri."

"I'm here for whatever you need" she smirks making my skin crawl. She may have had some skill in the bedroom but her clingyness was a huge turn off. I roll my eyes, brushing past her as I head down to the interrogation room.

~ 🚔 ~

"I'm Brianna" a woman with dark brown hair and piercing green eyes exclaims as she walks up to me. I furrow my eyebrows at her in confusion.

"That's great" I reply unenthusiastically. "Have a good day" I add as I try to brush past her. She laughs, stepping in front of me.

"Josh asked me to take you to the interrogation room. He's tied up down there" she explains. I sigh and internally groan loudly in frustration. I wanted to talk to him and find out why he reacted the way he did yesterday to Aiden trying to call me and that was going to be extremely difficult with his coworkers around.