27. "You Win"

Hello lovelies. I want to start this author's note by thanking each and every one of you that sent your condolences and prayers for me and my family. It really meant a lot to have so much love pouring in from all of you during a rough couple of weeks. I was thankful to have a couple weeks away from Wattpad to just really spend some time with my family and not have updates looming over me but I am happy to say that I'm back. I know it wasn't the longest break but honestly I am so ready to come back and be with my Wattpad family again and I'm really excited to share these updates with all of you. Again I thank all of you for your patience and support and without further ado...the updates!

*********************************************************************

"Are you going?" Zay exclaims as he rushes up to my locker, slamming it shut to gain my full attention.

"Where?" I question. "And why did you do that?" I ask as I unlock my locker again, pulling it open.

"The party" he replies as if this should be obvious. "The one that your ex is throwing" he adds. "How do you not know about this?" he asks confused.

I shrug, grabbing my history book before shutting my locker slowly and carefully this time. "Well he is my ex" I point out.

"No I know that" he rolls his eyes. "But this is going to be like the party of the century and you don't wanna come?"

"Zay" I sigh, trailing off as the bell rings. "We'll talk about it later" I add decisively before turning on my heels and heading to class.

I take my seat and immediately recieve a text from Riley.

HONEY 🍯: You aren't going to this party are you?!

I gnaw my bottom lip. I remember the various lectures about how Josh and I weren't partners in law enforcement but at the same time...

MAYA: It could have it's merits

HONEY 🍯: My uncle loves you. There is no way in hell that he is going to let you near Aiden

MAYA: Well its a good thing that I don't need his permission

HONEY 🍯: Maya do not ruin this with my uncle to bust some dumbass

MAYA: You worry too much

HONEY 🍯: I don't think my uncle would agree

I roll my eyes, putting my phone down on my desk. I would bring my idea up to Josh but frankly if he didn't go for it I would do this alone.

~ 🚔 ~

"Your shadow is here" Zeke smirks, nudging me while we stand at the counter in the lounge grabbing doughnuts. I turn and find Maya walking in, wringing her hands together in nervousness.

Shit. This was going to be a trying conversation.

"See you later" I tell Zeke as I walk off and motion for Maya to follow me into my office. I close the door behind her and move to sit behind my desk. "So? What is it?" I ask immediately.

"Don't get mad" she says quickly.

"Ha" I laugh dryly. "That makes me feel better. What is it Maya?" I ask impatiently.

She gnaws her bottom lip, moving to sit in the seat in front of my desk. "Aiden is hosting a party on Friday."

I furrow my eyebrows at her in confusion. "Okay. And?" I appreciated the intel but I knew that she wasn't done.

"And I was thinking that maybe we could bust it" she suggests shyly.

"We?" I question. "Sweetheart no fucking way. Not until you're wearing a badge." I had put her life and my badge in danger already way too many times.

"When did that ever stop us?" she demands in frustration, calling me out.

"Maya" I sigh, leaning forward and resting my elbows on my desk. "He's getting violent. If you think for one second I'm risking one hair on your gorgeous head to make a drug bust then you're sadly mistaken."

"But Josh-."

"Sweetheart the answer is no" I shake my head. "I'm not risking your life for this."

"Then I'll do it alone" she states simply.

I shake my head. "Over my dead body" I argue. "Why can't you drop this?" I add in frustration. I loved her passion but it was getting the best of her.

"Because I want him out of our lives" she exclaims. "I just want him to leave us alone. Do you know how tiring it is to have to worry about him popping up all the time?"

I did know how tiring it was. I hated having to worry about her twenty-four seven, though I honestly don't think there will ever come a day when I'll stop. "What's your idea?" I ask, humoring her even though there was no way in hell it's happening.

"I wear a wire" she says simply. "Then you get him on tape."

"He won't confess anything to you. He knows we're-well you know" I stutter. "It's just not gonna work."

She sighs, sinking down into her seat. "Fine" she concedes.

I raise an eyebrow at her. "Is this a real fine or a fine where you're actually going to go behind my back and get yourself hurt?"

She shrugs and I sigh, standing up and moving to lean against my desk in front of her. "Do you love me?" I ask quietly.

She rolls her eyes as she looks up at me. "You know I do."

"Good" I nod. "Then don't do something stupid because if I lose you" I trail off, shaking my head. "Maya nothing is more important than you. Do you understand that?"

"Yes" she nods, standing up and leaning into me. "I promise. I won't go."

"Thank you" I murmur, caressing her cheek. "Because I refuse to lose you."

~ 🚔 ~

I understand where Josh is coming from which is why I decide that for once I'm actually going to listen. I love him and he was right. Aiden wouldn't say anything to me anyway so why put myself in danger.

"When can I come back over to your place?" I ask impatiently as Josh pulls up to my house.

He chuckles, putting the car in park. "Maybe after all this settles down. Don't worry Maya" he smiles, wrapping his fingers around mine. "We have forever."

Forever. I loved the sound of that.

"Okay" I concede, leaning over the console to kiss him. "I love you" I murmur against his lips.

"I love you too" he agrees, pulling back from me and tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "Goodnight sweetheart."

"Goodnight officer" I tease making him chuckle as I turn to climb out of his car. I watch as he drives away before walking up the front porch steps and letting myself into the house.

My parents were out on date night so I had the house to myself.

I head to my bedroom and flick on the light.

"You know. Considering the fact that your boyfriend is a cop, he should know to sweep your room before driving off" Aiden smirks, sitting on my bay window.

I'm frozen in place watching him open and close a pocket knife repeatedly. "Aiden what are you doing here? What do you want?"

"What do I want?" he laughs. "Oh baby it's a little late for that. You and your boyfriend thought you could outsmart me. Well you can't" he says bluntly, standing up and walking towards me. I stumble back but he grabs my wrist.

"Now. You can come with me willingly or we can do this the hard way" he says, holding up the knife and placing it against my throat. I had no doubt that he was serious; this wasn't the Aiden I once knew. This was an Aiden hell bent on revenge and willing to get it at any cost.

I swallow harshly, nodding my head. "I'll go. You win" I mutter softly.

"Damn right I do" he smirks, grabbing me and pushing me out of my room.

~ 🚔 ~

A/N: Well if you need me I'll just uhhh be hiding from the comments on this chapter 🙈