One- Upcoming Anniversary

Your POV
Trust is a strange concept. The fact that due to different people's various mannerisms and traits, they can make us trust more or trust less. Just like honesty is a trait my husband, Seán carries. I don't ever recall a lie escaping his lips and I trust him with all my heart.

4th September, 1926 will be our five year anniversary and I couldn't think of a better person I'd want to spend the rest of my life with in our cosy home, situated in the bustling city of Brighton, just a five minute walk from the seafront.

It's six p.m meaning like everyday, Seán would arrive home soon. I placed the delicately wrapped gift for him tomorrow into the back of our wardrobe and made my way to the kitchen. I started to prepare dinner; dicing vegetables and cooking beef steak. Six fifteen p.m, I heard the front door open. I peered my head through the kitchen doorway and down the hall where Seán stood, taking off his long brown coat and top hat and placing his briefcase on the ground underneath the hat stand. I returned to the steaks, flipping them over. Perfectly cooked.

"Honey?" I heard him call.

"In the kitchen!" I called back, wiping my palms down the front of my long, navy blue dress. I heard the sound of his footsteps walking down the hall until I turned around and saw him enter the room. He wore his dark grey suit and green tie, like he usually does for work, his greying, brown hair looked a little windswept and much less untidier than it was when he left home this morning and his enchanting, sapphire eyes were full of happiness as he walked closer to me. "Hey."

He places a kiss on my cheek. "Hey."

"Good day at work?"

"Oh you know, same old same old." Seán shrugged. "Something smells good." He said as he peered over the hob and sniffed the air.

"Steak."

"I must be doing something right at work if we can afford steak this month." He chuckled. We're not a poor household but we're not a rich one either. It's somewhere in between when it comes to Seán's income and as for me, like every woman, I don't work.

"You sure are." I smiled. "Should be ready in five."

"Okay." Seán took a seat at the table in the middle of the room and began tapping his fingers on the surface of the wood. "You know what day it is tomorrow?"

"How could I forget?" I say whilst turning around and leaning against the kitchen counter to face him.

"Five years have gone too fast."

"You sound like an old man, complaining about how the years seem to go by quicker by the time you get to their age." I mocked.

"Shut up." Seán chuckled. "You know what I mean."

"Yeah, I do."

"Listen, Y/N, I was planning on taking some time off work tomorrow for our anniversary."

I felt a little spark ignite inside my stomach. Seán hasn't had any time off for a long time. It would be lovely to spend some more time with him. "That would be great but will they let you go?"

"Luckily, I can be very persuasive." He smirked. "As long as I return after tomorrow, I should still be employed."

I giggled. "How wonderful. What do you have planned?"

"I'm afraid, my dear, that is for me to know and you to find out." He tapped the side of his nose.

"Of course." I rolled my eyes in a sarcastic manner and turned back to the steaks. They were cooked through so I dished them onto two plates and added a couple spoonfuls of the diced, cooked vegetables and set them onto the table.

Seán and I sat and ate our dinner as he told me stories from his work and I guessed what he could be planning for tomorrow. I was incorrect every time—of course. I wonder what he's up to.