Two- Literature and Rubies

A/N:
E/C- Your Eye Colour
H/C- Your Hair Colour
———
Your POV
The golden sunlight shining through the gap in the curtains woke me up the next morning. I stirred and rubbed my eyes, allowing them to adjust to the bright light. Brushing my fringe off my forehead, I puffed out my cheeks as I let out a sigh. It didn't take me long to remember what day it was today and I suddenly felt more awake than ever. I glanced beside me to see Seán still sleeping. He was on his side facing me, one arm behind his head and one arm resting across my stomach. It was only now that I notice how shattered he looked; bags under his eyes and his gentle snores told me he was in a deep slumber. Perhaps a day off work was exactly what he needed. Deciding to let him sleep, I pulled the quilt off of my body and instantly, the morning bitterness shot chills up my spine and arms through my nightdress. Taking my dressing gown from off the back of the bedroom door, I wrapped it around me, rubbing my arms in the process and heading towards the bathroom.

Splashing some water onto my face, I looked up into the mirror at the woman who stared back at me. E/C eyes with long, dark lashes, chiselled cheekbones and long H/C hair cascading over the shoulders. I never thought I was the most attractive woman in this city and sometimes I even wonder what Seán sees in me but everyone has their insecurities, right?

Deciding on having a soak in the tub, I ran the not particularly warm water and stripped, feeling even more goosebumps form on my body. I slipped into the bath and felt the comfort of the water relax me.

Half an hour later, I emerged out of the bathroom, wearing my bathrobe and drying my hair with a towel. Suddenly, two hands wrapped around my waist. Seán placed his head on my shoulder and planted a kiss on my temple.

"Happy Anniversary, Y/N." He spoke quietly.

I smiled feeling all tingly inside. I could sense his chest pressed to my back. "Happy Anniversary, Seán." I turned around in his arms and wrapped my arms around his neck. "So are you going to tell me what's going on today?"

"I promise you will see soon." He replied. I gave him a weak smile and he placed a kiss on my lips. I pulled away and rested the towel I was using to dry my hair across the back of his neck, so both ends of the towel were down his front and I walked back to our bedroom, leaving him a little confused.

I dressed for the day, this time I decided on wearing a mid-length scarlet dress and red bow across the middle, tied at the back, except I struggled to do the small button up at the top of the dress. As if on cue, I felt a pair of hands fumbling with the button as Seán assisted me in doing it up.

"Thank you." I say to him as I smoothed out my dress.

"You need to grow longer arms."

"Believe me, I've been trying for twenty seven years."

Seán let out a little laugh. "I have something for you." He said as he headed to his bedside table drawer.

"Me too- I mean, I have something for you not me, that would be weird on our anniversary." I said, mentally facepalming at my nervous babbling. I opened our wardrobe and pulled out the wrapped gift for him.

Seán laughed again and I passed him my gift. He smiled before beginning to unwrap the present. I watched as his eyes grew wide in shock and happiness.

"It's the original copy." He said in surprise as he turned over his favourite childhood book and flicked through a few pages. "Where on earth did you find it?"

"A girl has her ways." I tapped the side of my nose. "I know how much of a sucker for literature you are."

"That I am. It's wonderful, thank you." He pecked my cheek.

"I'm glad you like it."

"I love it. Now it's your turn." He passed me a beautifully wrapped gift with a silver ribbon attached around it. "Here's to many more years with you."

I gratefully took the gift and smiled. I gently took the ribbon off and began peeling the paper away. I looked up at Seán to see his face wide with anticipation and gently biting his thumbnail. I peeled the rest of the paper off to reveal a box. It was rather thin and it wasn't particularly small either. I opened it up and inside was the most beautiful necklace I've seen. Tiny rubies laced the gold chain and in middle of the chain was a large ruby stone in a gold frame. I could feel my breath hitch in my throat as I gasped.

"Seán... I..."

"Turn it over." I took the necklace out of its box and turned the gem over. On the back of the frame was a side view of an engraved lion roaring and on its hind legs. It's front legs were out in front of it as though it was fighting something. "The lion symbolises bravery. I thought this necklace would suit you impeccably seeing as you are the bravest person I know." He explained with a smile.

"It's... beautiful." I breathed. "But how on earth could you afford this?"

"Never mind that." He waved it off like it was nothing.

"I... don't know what to say." I whispered.

"Say, 'I love it and I promise to wear it everyday.'" Seán smiled.

"I love it and I promise to wear it everyday." I echoed, holding the necklace close to my chest. Suddenly, I felt my face drop and I instantly felt guilty. "But, Seán, all I got you was a scruffy book. I can't-"

"A book which I've spent ten years searching for because it's not being published anymore and you managed to find it for me. Y/N, this is the best gift I've ever received. Please don't feel as though this book has any less importance than this necklace." He gave me a reassuring smile which I returned. "Here." He held his hand out and I gave him the necklace. I turned around and held my hair over my shoulder as he clasped the necklace closed at the back of my neck. I felt the cold metal rest on my warm skin and I fiddled with the ruby stone on my chest.

I looked into the full length mirror at our reflections. Behind me stood Seán but my attention was on the sparkling jewellery on my chest. The stone complimented my dress entirely and it just looked... right. This is by far the most luxurious thing I have ever owned or ever will own. I feel like I shouldn't even have this when we're standard, middle class. You'll only catch the top people wearing these sort of jewels, people who can actually afford this on a daily basis.

"I love you." I say.

"I love you too." Seán replied, pulling me in for another kiss. I can't even begin to imagine a better morning spent with my husband on our anniversary.