Four- Peculiar Encounter

Your POV
I wake the next morning to feel the empty space beside me. Seán has already left for work, leaving me feel quite deflated, like a balloon being released of air. I rubbed my eyes and sat up, resting my head on the headboard of the bed. I really couldn't be bothered to move but I knew I had to get back into the same monotonous routine sooner or later. I fumbled with my necklace, turning the stone over and over again between my fingers as a small smile crawled upon my lips at the memory of yesterday.

A few hours later, I pull on my coat and hat and walk down to the city centre to buy a few groceries. With basket in hand, I soon approach Bedford & Sons, a fruit and vegetable market. Some fruit was on display outside and I picked up any I thought I might need and popped them inside my basket before heading inside. Four carrots, three apples, two potatoes, three oranges and a bunch of bananas and grapes later, I walked to the till to Jeremy Bedford—the son and someone who's been trying to get me to go out with him for the longest time.

"Y/N!" Jeremy greeted me happily.

"Hey, Jeremy."

"Is this all for today?"

"Yes, please." I placed my basket on top of the counter.

"Has your answer changed?" He suddenly says.

"No it hasn't. Sorry, Jerry but I won't go out with you."

"One drink won't hurt."

"I'm married." I gave him a stern look.

"So?"

"I mean I'm happily married."

"Ah well, it was worth a try." He shrugged.

"Right." I handed him a few coins for the groceries. "Goodbye, Jeremy."

"Catch you later, Y/N." He winked.

I rolled my eyes before taking my basket and walking out of his shop. He has zero boundaries.

As I was walking out of the shop, I bumped into someone. I stumbled back and the groceries in my basket went cascading all over the floor. The man in front of me began to apologise repeatedly. Wherever he was going, he was in a rush.

"I'm so sorry, please do excuse me." His apologetic hazel eyes looked right at me. He had light brown hair and wore a long, royal blue coat. Beside him was a tatty-looking briefcase.

"No, no. It's fine." I brushed my dress down and began putting the groceries back into the basket. He started to help but I insisted I was fine. "I've got it, thanks." He stood back up straight and began looking around everywhere as though he was looking for something. "Excuse me, sir but are you alright?"

"Yes. Marvellous." His wild eyes suddenly fixed on something over my shoulder. "Do excuse me." And with that he rolled up his sleeves, picked up his briefcase and set off at a fast walk which turned into a jog. What in God's name was all that about? Being left slightly bewildered, I continued my leisurely walk home.

Like everyday, six fifteen p.m comes around quicker than I think. Seán arrives home, pecks me on the cheek and we sit down for dinner.

"The most peculiar man bumped into me today." I brought up the earlier encounter.

"Oh yes?" Seán says after he finishes chewing.

"Yes. I was just coming out of the fruit and veg market when a man bumped into me knocking all groceries out of my basket." Seán nodded, acknowledging that he was listening. "He looked like he was in a rush and as though he was looking for something. He was rather... strange."

"In what way?"

"I don't know, I just got that strange vibe off of him. He was off again before I could ask any questions. He just took his tatty briefcase, rolled his sleeves of his blue coat up-"

"Wait, what?" Seán suddenly interrupted.

"I got a strange vibe-"

"No, describe him again for me?" He put his knife and fork down and sat forward in his seat.

"Er... he wore a long, blue coat, light brown hair, hazel eyes and carried an old briefcase." I tried to remember what the man looked like.

Seán sat back in his chair and thought for a moment. "Hmm." He said at last.

"What is it? Do you know him?"

"No... no, of course not." He says, avoiding eye contact with me.

This was the first time I could tell that Seán had lied to me.