Five- Curious

A/N:
Credit to the wonderful owner of this magical image/gif on Tumblr!
———
Your POV
Seán would be home soon and I couldn't stop thinking about the strange man from yesterday. Seán obviously knew him. The look on his face was a big enough giveaway but why wouldn't he admit it. What was he hiding?

When Seán returned home, I put on a smile and welcomed him like always, trying to hide my curiosity.

"What's wrong?" He could read me like a book. How?

"Nothing." I shrugged. "Why?"

"Y/N, I've known you long enough to know when something is bothering you." He took my hands in his.

"I'm fine, honestly. I think I'm just a bit tired."

His expression relaxed as he sighed out. "Me too. I might have a lie down."

"Okay." I replied as he headed upstairs.

Suddenly, his coat fell off the hook so I bent down and hung it back up on the hook and that's when I noticed something very strange. Inside one of the pockets was a kind of stick. Pulling it out, I examined it. It had a wooden grip and the whole object looked mossy but then I realised the wood was actually a very dark shade of green. Engravings marked the object along the surface of the wood. It was the most prettiest stick I've seen.

I started twirling it around in my fingers and to my utter shock, the stick shot out a pale blue ball of light and hit the vase on the dresser nearby, before flying out of my hand and landing on the other side of the hall. The vase shattered into tiny pieces, making a hell of a racket. I couldn't believe my eyes. I let out a little squeal before quickly covering my mouth. What the hell is this?

"Y/N? Is everything alright?" I heard Seán's concerned voice call from upstairs.

I rapidly snatched the stick back up and in a panic, stuffed it back in his coat pocket. "Uh-um, yeah!" I called back.

"What was that noise?"

"I just... knocked the vase off the dresser."

"I'll come help-"

"No! I've got it!" I interrupted him.

"Okay." He seemed suspicious and I couldn't blame him. I did sound a little indiscreet.

I swept up the broken glass and with shaking hands, put all shards of broken glass in the bin. So many thoughts swam around in my mind like shoals fish in the sea. What was my husband doing with this peculiar artefact in his possession?

~The Next Morning~

I've never been one of those crazy obsessive wives who stalk their husband's every move but today I needed answers.

I felt the dip in the bed next to me rise, as Seán got up to get ready for work. Deciding to get up too for my plan to work, I pulled on the first clothes I could find in the closet and threw my long hair into a high ponytail before walking downstairs to put the kettle on for tea.

Fifteen minutes later, Seán came downstairs wearing his clothes for work and wearing his coat and top hat, carrying his briefcase in one hand. On his nose, he wore his black-rimmed glasses for a change. "You're up early." He stated as he saw me in the kitchen.

"Yeah, Lydia and I have arranged to meet up at the seafront." I lied. Lydia is my good friend who I've known since school. I'm sure she wouldn't mind covering for me.

"I see. Well, enjoy your day." He pecked my lips.

"You too." I replied. "See you later."

He smiled before walking out of the front door. Quickly, I grabbed my keys and handbag and waited a few minutes before following him out. I locked the door behind me and stayed low, making sure I wouldn't get caught.

Surprisingly, Seán was heading towards his workplace. Maybe I got it all wrong? Just as I was about to head back, I saw him take a turn behind a building. He looked around first before darting down an alleyway. I quickly but silently followed.

Hiding low behind a wall, I watched him closely to see what he was doing. He took out the strange stick and pointed it at the wall before muttering, "Revelio!" To my utter amazement, part of the wall turned into a wooden door. "Alohomora!" My husband whispered again and this time the door swung open.

I saw Seán glance behind him one last time, before entering. Wherever he was going, he did not want to be followed which made me want to follow him even more. Moments after he had entered, the door was slowly closing so I quickly dashed inside, just before it closed with a thump behind me. Inside, was completely pitch black. I couldn't see where he went.

"Lumos!" I suddenly heard Seán's voice say as a bright, white light appeared in front which illuminated where we were. What do these funny words mean? We were in a corridor of some sort with a stone staircase leading down. Where did this lead?

I continued to follow, curious of where my husband was going. The stairs turned into flat, solid ground and still, he walked. I accidentally kicked a stone across the floor, making it rattle and echo through the corridor. I quickly ducked behind a corner, peering ever so slightly. Seán turned around and I saw that the white light was emitting through the stick he's been using to say that funny language. The light illuminated his face and I could see his confused but panic-stricken facial expression. His eyes searched around for a little while before shrugging the situation off and pushing his glasses up his nose. He turned back around and continued to walk. Phew!

After what felt like forever, Seán finally stopped in front of another wall. This time he used the stick to tap the bricks, one by one, in a specific order. The bricks started to move outwards, creating a path through. Through the gap, I could see light and hear the buzz of people.

Seán walked through, putting the stick back in his pocket and just as the bricks were about to close up, I sprinted down the corridor as fast as I could and just squeezed through, stumbling forwards and landing on the ground with a thud.

I managed to get up off the smooth, marble ground and I observed my surroundings. I couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing...