Thirteen- Betrayal

A/N:
H/C- Your Hair Colour.
N/N- Your Nickname.
———
Seán's POV
"Where have you been?" I ask Newt as I see him approach the hill we were camped on. We worked out we weren't far away from home, fifteen minutes walk perhaps? But for now, we needed to rest. It was dark now and Y/N had fallen asleep beside the fire. She has been sleeping soundly for the past half hour, locks of her H/C hair falls over her face.

"Just for a walk." Newt replies with a shrug but avoided eye contact with me. Hmm... "Y/N fallen asleep then?"

"Yeah, she's shattered, bless her." I reach over and move a lock of hair out of her face but then my smile fades.

"What is it, Seán?" Newt notices my change in expression as he sits down next to the fire.

"I don't know. I just can't help but think that all this is my fault. What if they..." I couldn't bring myself to even think of what would happen. Guilt flooded my emotions like a tsunami.

"Well let's hope we don't fall into their trap." Newt replied. I nodded in acknowledgement as I turned my attention towards the fire. I noticed beside me that Y/N began to shiver.

"Here." Newt picks up my jacket and took his time brushing it down. He hands it to me. I give him a skeptical look before laying the jacket over Y/N's shivering body. I caressed her cheek a little and warmed up my hands in front of the fire. "So where now from here?"

"They'll probably expect us to head back towards the city so I suggest we head away from the city." I say.

"Seán, we can't run forever." Newt says quietly.

"No, but we can run for however long to keep Y/N safe." I reply stubbornly. Newt goes quiet and by the look in his eyes, I can tell he's contemplating something.

"Away from the city?" Newt checks with me.

"Yes. Why?"

"No reason, just thinking of what we could do from there." He flashes an encouraging smile. "Anyway, it's getting pretty late. I'm going to hit the hay."

"Agreed." I say, tearing my eyes away from the burning out flames. I moved my body position so I was lying beside Y/N and she stirred a little but didn't wake up thankfully. I fell asleep to the rhythm of her breathing, the hooting owls and the crackling of the almost dead fire.

But I wasn't asleep for long.

I hear a scuffing sound and my eyes shoot open. I turn back around to see nothing left of the fire but ash and Newt slipping away with his case in hand. Was he bailing on us? Curiosity stuck in my mind like a sore thumb and I couldn't work out why he would leave in the middle of the night. If he was leaving us, he would've been sure to say goodbye. He is coming back. My instincts told me to follow him but whatever he was doing, didn't concern me. Right?
———
Your POV
I awake to the sound of chirping birds and the bright light on my eyelids. Beside me, sound asleep with an arm draped protectively over me is Seán. I look over for Newt but to my surprise he isn't there.

"Seán?" I gently shake his shoulder. "Seán." I say louder. His eyebrows turn into a frown and his eyes slowly open.

"What's up, N/N." His sleepy voice asks as he yawns.

"Newt is gone."

"Still?" He sat upright.

"You knew?"