Three- The Surprise

Your POV
It was sunny day in October as Seán and I stepped afoot outside. He was wearing his black jacket and flat cap and I wore my cardigan and my cloche hat. Despite the sunshine, there was still a chill in the air. Auburn leaves danced around in the wind as they fell from trees and the grass in our front garden was wet with morning dew.

We both walked up to our car parked in the driveway and Seán placed a basket he was carrying in the back, moved to the front and held the passenger door open and his hand out.

"M'lady." He says in the most posh accent he can muster.

"Thank you, kind sir." I played along with a little giggle as I took his hand and clambered inside. He shut the door behind me and climbed in his side. "So are you going to tell me what's in that basket?" He merely gave me a small smile and tapped the side of his nose. "Can you at least tell me where we're going?" But he just tapped his nose again as he started up our Austin Seven. "You know, it's annoying when you do that, especially when you direct that at the most inquisitive person on this planet."

Seán chuckled as he backed out of our drive, looking behind him with one arm resting on the back of my seat. "I know, that's why I do it."

We drove along the seafront, hearing cries of gulls and the sound of waves crashing into the shore and rolling out again. The air tasted salty on my tongue as the wind washed over my face during the drive. Stalls and salesmen were shouting, promoting what they have on sale to any passing pedestrians. After a short drive and getting trapped in a little traffic along the way, we arrived at a park of some kind.

Seán got out, walked around to my side and opened my door for me, holding out his hand again. I took it and stepped out, my red heels, to match my dress and necklace, landing on the gravel. I took a look around the area. A gravel parking lot with a stony path leading into a meadow full of autumn leaves covering the grass like a blanket.

"It's nothing special but it's a nice place to go to have a picnic." He pulled out the basket from out of the backseat.

"You're a hopeless romantic. You know that, right?" I giggled.

"Of course. Who else would I be?" He replied as he held out his arm. I smiled before hooking my arm around his and we made our way into the field.

We lay on a checkered blanket on our backs as we gazed into the blue skies, hand in hand, pointing out funny looking clouds and occasionally eating strawberries or grapes from the picnic Seán packed. I felt at ease. No stress or anxiety could creep up on me whilst I was here.

"Thank you, Seán." I randomly say once a silence fell between us.

"You don't need to thank me, Y/N. I wanted to do this and I wanted to make the most of my time off." I felt him squeeze my hand a little in his as he looked over to me.

"Well, it's perfect nonetheless." I moved on my side and rested my head on his shoulder and he placed his arm around my figure. I didn't want today to end. Tomorrow, Seán will go back to work and I will be left alone all day once again.