Chapter 1

Carlos smiled as he watched Dude climb onto Jane's lap, licking her face affectionately. Her laugh sounded like music to his ears. He couldn't believe he was lucky enough to call her his own. After the cotillion, he was terrified that it was a one time thing. But she liked him back. Now they were dating and he couldn't be happier.

"Carlos?" He snapped out of his daze when she called his name. He saw the girl in question cuddling Dude close to her chest. "You okay?"

His heart warmed at the concern in his voice. "Yeah. Just lost in thought." She smiled at the answer. Her phone beeped and she checked the text she had received. Her smile fell. He scooted closer to her. "Are you okay?"

She shook her head, putting her phone down and forcing another smile, "I'm fine."

He raised an eyebrow. "You are definitely an AK because you're a terrible liar."

She let out a small laugh, before turning serious. She absentmindedly petted Dude's fur while she spoke, "It's just... my mom." Carlos raised an eyebrow. "She was fine with me going to the cotillion with you but she always had this plan for me."

"'Plan'?" He repeated confused.

Jane bit her lip, hesitating. Her breath caught when Carlos took her hand and laced their fingers together. He squeezed it, silently giving her his support. "She... she wants me to be with a prince." His eyes widened in shock. Jane rushed to comfort him, "She likes you, Carlos. I mean, you're an honor student, love reading, and are amazing with animals." Dude let out a small whimper from Jane's lap. Mal had used her spellbook one last time before it went off to the museum to reverse the truth spell on Dude so he was back to a regular dog. "But..." she trailed off.

"I'm not a prince." Carlos finished quietly. Not many of them would admit it, but all the VKs had insecurities around their significant others. Mal's was obvious at the cotillion but Ben put her worries to rest. Evie and Jay don't show it, but both were scared they weren't good enough for the AKs they had fallen for (whether Jay wants to admit it or not).

But Carlos was different. He was younger than his psuedo-siblings. The only reason he could be a sophomore at 15 was that he was smart enough to skip a grade. He had always seen himself as the runt of the litter, especially since that was what his mother had always drilled into his head. He was the son of a crazed, dog-hating villain. She was the daughter of the purest person in the world. And with the trauma his mother had put him through, he didn't deserve to even breathe the same air as her.

"Carlos!" Jane's voice shocked him out of his thoughts. He turned to her with a look that cracked her heart. "I don't care what my mom says about you. I care about you! You are the most amazing person I have ever met! You're sweet, kind, and loving. And you liked me even when I was, am, plain Jane. I don't need a prince! You're my prince!" Unshed tears shimmered in her blue eyes. He quickly cupped her cheeks in his hands, making her heart race. He leaned their foreheads together. When she spoke again, it was little more than a whisper. "I want you, Carlos. Only you."

Her voice cracked on the final word, conveying the honesty. Carlos smiled as his own heart raced from her words. He pressed his lips to hers. Both their bodies flooded with sparks and warmth. Jane grasped his wrists, pulling him as close as possible. All too soon, air became necessary and they reluctantly separated. Carlos smiled at her. She smiled back before jumping back when Dude jumped in between them, licking at Carlos' face.

The couple laughed. Carlos nuzzled Dude's nose. "We didn't forget about you, buddy." He said to the mutt. Jane leaned forward and kissed the dog's furry head. Carlos looked up at Jane. "Let me walk you back to your dorm."

She smiled a little bit brighter and nodded. She gently lifted Dude off her lap and accepted Carlos' hand when he offered it. Their fingers involuntarily entwined themselves as they walked. Neither spoke, they just simply enjoyed each other's company. When they got to her door, Jane pulled him into a sweet kiss. Carlos wrapped his arms around her waist while her hands grasped his collar.

They separated and Jane locked her blue orbs with his chocolate brown ones. "You'll always be my prince, Carlos." She said softly. "As long as you'll have me."

He pressed a small kiss on her forehead. He pulled her into his arms, burying his nose in her hair and allowing her to listen to his steady heartbeat. She slowly pulled away and with one last peck on his lips, entered her dorm.

*******

Lonnie woke up to a pounding on her dorm door. She groaned and ran a hand through her bed head. On the other bed, Jane sat up, rubbing her eyes of sleep. Lonnie reluctantly got out of bed and went to the door. She opened it to see a very anxious Carlos standing in the hall, biting his figernails. "Carlos?" Lonnie asked, still groggy. "It's barely five am. What are you doing here?"

"Is Jane here?" He asked, rushed.

Jane came to the door, allowing Lonnie to go back to bed. "Carlos? What's wrong?" She took a step into the hallway, closing the door behind her.

The minute the door clicked, Carlos pulled her into a tight embrace. Jane was confused but returned the hug. She could feel him taking deep breaths, as if trying to calm himself down. She tightened her grip on him slightly.

"I'm sorry." His voice was barely above a whisper. He pulled out slightly and cupped her face with shaking hands. "I just..."

She covered his hands with hers. "I'm right here." She wiped the beads of sweat rolling down his forehead. "No matter what. I'm right here." He cracked a small smile and softly kissed her forehead.

She closed her eyes and grasped his hands tighter as he kept his lips against her forehead. They stood in silence for a moment. "Jane?" An all-too familiar voice echoed through the hallway.

They jumped apart and Jane gasped at the sight of her mother standing at the other end of the hallway.

To be continued...