Chapter 20

Carlos quickly caught up with Jane just outside of his and Jay's dorm. She had spent the night in his bed, with his arms wrapped securely around her and felt like this was a safe place for her. The minute she stepped foot in the dorm, she collapsed onto her knees and placed a hand over her heart. Carlos came down with her and pulled her into his arms. "I've never done anything like that." She said into his shoulder. He nodded, understanding and kissed her temple. "I don't know how to feel about it."'

He pulled away and cupped her face in his hands. "You wanna know what I think? That was so incredible." She smiled slightly. "You were right. You didn't let what Samuel did to you," He felt an involuntary shudder go through her at the thought of what happened. "get to you. You let the hell you walked trough give you strength. And I couldn't be more proud of you." He pressed his lips to her forehead making her smile even brighter. He slowly helped her stand up and his face fell. "There's something I think you need to see." She raised an eyebrow as he led her to his bed. There was a box on top of it and she looked to him confused. "Ben found it in Samuel's room and..." He trailed off and motioned to the box.

Jane cautiously lifted the lid off the box. Her stomach plummeted as she set eyes on the contents. Inside was dozens of pictures of her in her daily life. Even when she thought she was alone. There were pictures of her in the dance studio, in the hallways, even in her room. Some of them she knew Carlos had been with her but he had been cut out of the photos. "Oh God." She whimpered. Samuel didn't just kidnap her, he had been stalking her for weeks! "I think I'm going to be sick." 

She dropped the box onto the bed and all but fell onto Carlos' arms. He held her close to his chest while she began to sob. He kissed her head and she begged him to get rid of the pictures. "We can both do it when you calm down." He responded, "It's better if you do it yourself so you can move past it." She nodded slightly, raising her head. Even with her makeup smeared and her eyes red and bloodshot, she was breathtakingly beautiful.

"I think I have an idea." She said softly. He nodded for her to continue, ready to do anything to make her feel better. "Do you remember that 'Don't Worry' routine we were working on before all this?" He nodded. Since she had shown him the dance studio, they had been working on some dance duets for themselves. "Get changed and meet me at the dance studio in half an hour. Bring the pictures." She kissed him quickly and rushed out of the room.

*******

Half an hour later on the dot, Carlos walked into the studio. The box of pictures was tucked under his arm when he spotted Jane hooking up her music. She looked over at him and smiled in her new dance clothes, her curls pulled into a crown hairstyle.

 She looked over at him and smiled in her new dance clothes, her curls pulled into a crown hairstyle

(A/N Except it's purplish-pink, and the skirt has a ripped hemline)

She came up to him and pressed her lips to his gently in greeting. "So what is this idea and what does it have to do with our routine?" Carlos asked when they pulled away. 

"You said it was best if I got rid of the pictures myself, right?" He nodded. "Well, I thought about just throwing them away and I found out that it wouldn't make me feel any better. I needed to do something, a statement I guess, to actually move past what he did to me." She slowly took the box from him. "And I think I know how to do it." She started scattering the pictures across the floor, shuddering every once in a while at them. "I want us to dance on the pictures." His eyes widened slightly. She went over and pulled out a pair of strappy black heels from her bag. "This is where Samuel took me and this is where I want to move past all that he's done to me, done to us." She slipped the shoes onto her feet and went over to Carlos. "Please, help me."

He smiled slightly. "Anything for you." He kissed her sweetly, feeling her smile during the kiss. They pulled away and he took her hand leading her to the center of the floor, on top of the pictures. She looked down at them and took a shaky breath. "You sure you want to do this?" He squeezed her hand. She nodded with a small smile. He kissed her knuckles. "Just focus on me and the music." She nodded just as the music began.

(A/N Skip to 1:34 in the video)

Jane felt all the tension from everything that had happened to her melt away as she let herself flow into the rhythm. Having Carlos right next to her relaxed her enough to forget about all that and just let go. The music ended and she locked her bright blue eyes with his chocolate brown ones, pulling him into a kiss as he brought her up from the dip. He reluctantly pulled away but leaned his forehead against hers. "Feel better?" He asked. 

She glanced down and saw her heels had done what she wanted. Many of the pictures were crushed or ripped. She nodded slightly. "A little but..." She looked at him. "I need a little more."

Carlos smiled and pulled her close by her waist. "We can do this for as long as you need." He said quietly. She smiled as she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him into a quick, loving kiss. He slowly led her into a waltz position as a new song started. "Just focus on me." She nodded and they started to move.

Carlos smiled at her as they saw the destroyed photos on the floor. Jane smiled but had tears welling in her eyes. He quickly wrapped her in his arms around her and she buried her face in his chest. He knew she was seeing all the memories of what Samuel had done to her and he knew she just needed to let it out. He simply held her tightly in his arms and stroked her hair. "You're gonna be fine, Jane." He whispered in her ear. "You're gonna be absolutely fine."

To be continued...