Chapter 2

"Mom?" Jane gasped. She reached for Carlos' hand, needing the stability. "What are you doing up so early?"

Fairy Godmother walked towards the pair, eyeing their hands suspiciously. "I always wake up early to get everything settled for the day." Sh crossed her arms over her chest. "What are you doing up so early with Mr. De Vil?"

Jane started stuttering, unsure how to explain this to her mother. Before she could come up with anything, Carlos spoke up, "Fairy Godmother, this is my fault. I came to Jane's room because of... an anxiety attack." Jane's eyes widened slightly. She had an idea of why he was there but hearing it out loud broke her heart. "I needed her to calm me down. I shouldn't have come."

Jane squeezed his hand, silently letting him know he can come to her whenever he needed. "Well it's honorable of you to accept blame, Mr. De Vil." Jane let out a breath. "But there's still the matter of the... intimacy of the position you were in."

"Mom," Jane stepped forward, taking a deep breath. "Carlos and I have been dating. Since the cotillion." Fairy Godmother's face was expressionless. That just amplified Jane's nerves. Carlos ran his thumb over her knuckles, soothing her slightly. "Mom..."

Fairy Godmother cut her off, "Jane, I need to think this over." Jane swallowed thickly. "Both of you come into my office during your free period. We will talk then."

Without another word, Fairy Godmother turned and left the couple. Jane let out a squeak and practically fell into Carlos' arms. When her mom says 'they'll talk later', it never ends well.

*******

Jane and Carlos sat nervously outside Fairy Godmother's office. Jane's fingers tapped a random beat on her knee. Carlos took her hand in his. "It's gonna be alright." He said quietly. She merely nodded in response. He kissed her forehead, enticing her to Crack a small smile.

Their moment was broken when Fairy Godmother opened her office door. "Jane, I'd like to talk to you alone first." She said. Jane tensed up but one look at Carlos calmed her enough to walk into her mother's office. Fairy Godmother motioned for her to sit in one of the chairs in front of her desk. Jane obeyed, twisting her fingers nervously. "I don't know why you're nervous. I'm not mad."

Jane looked up in shock. "Y-you're not mad?" She stuttered.

"No. I'm glad you finally realized that there are boys out there who will like you for who you are and not just your looks."

A ghost of a smile appeared on Jane's face before she let it fall, knowing her mother's game. "But..."

Fairy Godmother sighed. Her daughter knew her too well. "But... I'm not sure he's the right choice for you." Jane felt her heart crack. "Jane, I can see he's a good student, an animal lover, and is very kind to you but you have to understand that I'm thinking of what's best for you."

"But Carlos..." Jane started to defend but her mother cut her off.

"Jane, we've been over this since you were little. There are so many loving princes who could help you with both social standing and that shyness you've always had."

"But the VKs have helped me with my confidence monumentally!" Jane cut in. She stood up to face her mother. "Especially Carlos! He's so amazing to me, mom! I know he's not a prince but he's better than all the princes in the world combined!"

"Jane, please understand this hurts me to do..."

Jane cut her off, "So then why are you doing it?"

"It's for your own good!" Fairy Godmother all but shouted. "I'm sorry, Jane." Tears formed in Jane's eyes as her mother went to the door and brought Carlos in. He saw the tears start to trickle down her face and he rushed over to her. Jane shook her head but Carlos pulled her into his arms. "Mr. De Vil, I have to ask you to take your hands off my daughter."

Carlos looked worried but went to pull away from Jane. She gripped him tighter, not allowing him to let go of her. "Mom, please..."

Fairy Godmother held up a hand to silence her. Jane let out a small whimper and clinged to Carlos. "Mr. De Vil, I understand how you must feel about my daughter and how she feels about you but..."

Carlos, against his better judgement, interrupted Fairy Godmother, "Fairy Godmother, Jane told me about your intent to have her be with a prince but I can promise you that I will treat Jane like a princess every single day of her life."

Jane smiled through her tears. In any moment, Carlos could make her heart swell with a single statement. "That's very sweet but I'm sorry, I can't allow you to be with her." Carlos' eyes widened and he involuntarily tightened his grip on Jane. "I'm not forbidding you two from seeing each other. You can still be friends. I just want Jane to be with..."

"A prince, I know. I understand." Carlos said quietly. He reluctantly released Jane. She started shaking her head with tears streaming down her face. Unshed tears shined in his eyes, but he refused to let them fall. "Jane, this is hurting me as much as it's hurting you but I can't come in between you and your mom. She was with you when no one else was." Jane let out a sob and it shattered Carlos' heart. He reached into his shirt and pulled out a long chain from around his neck. "I want you to have this. As a thank you for everything you've done for me." A sob ripped it's way out of her throat when he put it around her neck. He kissed her forehead one last time. "You're amazing, Jane. Don't let anyone tell you different."

He squeezed her hands in his before turning and walking out. A fresh wave of tears washed over her when she saw him wipe some tears off his face. "Jane..." Her mother started, laying a hand on her shoulder.

Jane pushed the hand off of her as if it burned her. She sent a glare to her mother before running out of the office, her sobs echoing in the hallway

To be continued...