Chapter 11

Carlos made good on his promise and met Jane during free period after changing into black sweats, a white t-shirt, and a red sleeveless hoodie. She was wearing an off-the-shoulder pink t-shirt with 'Magic is in the heart' written in elegant cursive and a black tank top underneath, and black calf-length sweats. Her hair was loose around her shoulders and his necklace was still around her neck.

She took his hand with a smile and led him to the athletic center. Neither noticed the dirty blonde following them with a snarl towards the happy couple. Jane took Carlos to a side door of the gym. His eyes widened when she opened it and he saw a dance studio complete with a ballet barre and a mirror along one wall. A few windows let in natural light while letting the room have a secluded feel.

"Wow." He said.

"I know." She said, leading him in. "I found this my first year. It's become a sanctuary for me."

"You dance?" He asked, slightly shocked. She nodded with a bashful, proud smile. "Why didn't you tell anyone?"

She shrugged. "I guess I just never really liked being the center of attention and this would definitely draw some attention." She sat down on the floor and unlaced her shoes.  "I come here when I need to escape from the world and just... live my life." He nodded in understanding. He knew how dancing could be a therapy for some. "Sometimes when I can't sleep, I sneak in here after curfew to relax."

"Wow. Didn't know you had a bad bone in your body." She giggled a little bit and playfully punched his shoulder. "So why did you decide to tell me about this?"

"Dancing would always help me when Audrey's taunts got too much and I started doubting myself." She confessed, "And I figured if it helped me with that, maybe it could help you. I've seen how well you danced at the coronation and the cotillion."

Carlos smiled. He loved that she cared enough to try and help him through his issues. And that she would trust him enough to show him what she believed was her sanctuary. She stood up, now barefoot, smiling at him. He quickly kissed her forehead. When he pulled away, he cautiously asked, "Can you show me some?"

Jane slowly nodded. He went and sat against the mirror while she went to the speakers in the corner of the room. She plugged in her phone, going through her music. She found what she wanted and nervously turned to him. "Just... remember, I've never done this in front of anyone so..."

"Jane, I know I'm gonna love it." He cut her off, making her blush. He motioned for her to start and she started the song.

Carlos' heart pounded as he watched Jane dance. He never knew she had such incredible talent. It was like she wasn't even trying, the music was a part of her and she was just showing it. He could feel the emotion inside of Jane spilling out into each step. The song ended and Jane took a few deep breaths, looking towards him with questioning in her eyes.

Carlos scrambled to his feet and threw his arms around her. She let out a squeal as he spun her around. "Jane, that was incredible!" He said, setting her down on her feet.

"Really?"

He nodded. "I didn't think anyone could make dancing any more amazing and beautiful but you did."

Jane blushed darkly and mumbled her thanks. She straightened up and smirked at him. "Now it's your turn." She said. She took his hand and led him to the floor. "Have you ever waltzed?"

He snorted. "I grew up on a place where dancing in general was frowned upon by most parents including my own." Jane frowned at the mention of the trauma he endured.

She took a deep breath and ran a soothing hand through his hair. "Well, you're in Auradon now." She went to the speakers again, flipping through some music. Soothing violins started to play a familiar melody. He raised a teasing eyebrow at her. She shrugged as she walked back to him. "It may not be my mother's fairytale but everyone has heard this song too many times to count. I love it and think it's perfect for this." She took his hands in hers. "Just follow my lead and let the music flow through you."

He merely nodded, completely understanding as she started to lead him.

Carlos and Jane moved in sync with each other. It seemed as though their hearts beat as one as they twirled around the room in time to the beautiful melody that Ben's parents once danced to. Jane felt like she was flying. Nothing outside this room mattered. Not Samuel, not her mother, nothing. It was just her and him.

The music began to fade and Carlos bowed to her. Jane felt her heart flutter as she curtsied to him. He pulled her in and pressed a quick, loving kiss to her lips. "Thank you for this, Jane." He said quietly.

"Anything for you, Carlos." She responded, just as quietly. They resumed the waltz position but closer together. They leaned their foreheads together as they swayed to the soft music still playing.

*******

The couple inside was completely oblivious to the teenager outside the window, watching the two dance. Samuel barely contained a scream of hatred towards the De Vil son. Samuel should be the one knowing all of Jane's secrets. But I do. He thought. He had pictures of her in her most private and that was something Carlos had never shared with her.

Samuel knew her. He knew she needed a king lion, not some dog who only wants to drag her through the mud. He clasped the lion's tooth around his neck. His father had lost Nala, his queen, but Samuel would not lose his. Even if it meant taking her to where Carlos couldn't get her. Where his father had taught him to do anything in his power to get a queen.

And he had the power to tear Jane away from Carlos and save her.

To be continued...