Chapter 15

Corinne gripped her small backpack tighter as she walked to Samuel's hideout the next day. It sickened her to think of what he did to not only Fairy Godmother's daughter, not only an AK, but to her brother's true love. She would never forgive herself if she couldn't protect Jane before Carlos could come get her. She knew her twin well enough to know he was definitely planning a way to get Jane back to Auradon. 

She finally got to Samuel's hideout and peeked in the dirty window to make sure he wasn't there. When she was sure the coast was clear, she pulled a bobby pin out of her hair, picking the lock of the small room. Her heart dropped when she saw Jane curled into a ball on the mattress, shoulders shaking with sobs. But what made her want to vomit was the fact that all she  had on was the threadbare blanket. Bruises were plastered across her skin. 

"No, no, no, Jane." Corinne said, rushing to the young fairy's side. Jane turned to her with tears streaming down her face. The black-haired teen fought back tears of her own. "Jane, please tell me he didn't do what I think he did." All Jane could do was sob. Corinne felt her heart snap. She had failed her brother. "Oh God. I should've gotten you out last night." She took her backpack and pulled out some of her clothes. "Here. I thought you would want to change out of your clothes but you need them now."

Jane nodded as she slowly took the clothes from Corinne. Corinne stepped out of the room just a step so that Jane could change in privacy. Jane came out in a black t-shirt with white rose designs lining the edge, a red leather jacket, dirty white ripped skinny jeans, and red combat boots. "At least we're almost the exact same size." Jane joked quietly.

This girl is stronger than anyone realizes. Corinne thought with a smile. She nodded and led Jane quickly out of the room and down the road. They took some of the back ways before ending up in front of Lady Tremaine's hair salon. "I have a room in the back but before you set up, there was a little bit of a compromise I made so you could stay here." Jane raised an eyebrow. "Lady Tremaine saw how nice your hair became after the coronation so to get her to let you stay here, I had to agree to let her do something with it. It doesn't have to be super big and it can be temporary. There are..."

Jane held out a hand to stop her. "I actually would like to do something with my hair."' Corinne looked at her curiously. "I just... don't want to look like the girl Samuel... claimed last night." Tears started to glitter in her eyes. "I want a new Jane for when Carlos comes." Corinne nodded in understanding. "I have a few ideas."

*******

Carlos, Evie, and Mal all stood silently with Ben and Doug, waiting on the limo. The VK's were all dressed in their Isle style clothes. Carlos bit the side of his thumb, resisting the urge to pace like a dog in a cage. Images of Jane being tortured by that bastard filled his head and he clenched his fists. When he got his hands on him... "I still think we should..." Ben started, interrupting Carlos' thoughts.

"Ben, we've already discussed this." Mal cut him off, already knowing what he was gonna argue. "We know the Isle the best and we can't risk any of you getting hurt. Especially after last time." As soon as the words were out of her mouth, Jay pulled up in the limo. The VK's threw their bags into the backseat while Jay climbed out of the driver's seat.

They turned back to the AK's. Ben and Doug went up to Mal and Evie, Ben pressing a kiss to Mal's lips and Doug kissing Evie's forehead. Carlos felt a spite of jealousy at the pairs, both promising to stay safe for the other. Lonnie jogged out to the limo, dressed in spare Isle clothes. Jay stopped her before she could go any farther. "Babe, where do you think you're going?" He questioned.

"To the Isle to help you get Jane back." She answered like it was obvious. Jay started protesting but she held a hand up to silence him. "Listen, since my freshman year, Jane has been both my roommate and my best friend. We've been through everything together and I am not going to sit by and just hope you guys can bring her home safe. I'm going. Whether you like it or not."

Everyone stood in silence, letting Jay decide whether or not to bring her along. After a moment, Jay's face broke out into a smirk. "I knew there was a reason I fell for you." Lonnie smiled and he quickly pressed a kiss to her lips. He turned to the rest of the VK's. "Let's get Carlos' girl back."

*******

The VK's all felt a familiar shudder run through them, being back on the Isle. Mal started fingering Ben's signet ring, Evie rolled her lip in her teeth and picked at her nail polish, Jay clenched his jaw but discreetly laced his fingers with Lonnie's, and Carlos clenched his fists. Somewhere on this Isle, the two most important people in his life were likely being put through hell. His sister with their mother and his love with an obsessive son of a bitch.

"It's getting late." Evie noted, finally breaking the silence. "Let's get to the hideout and start the search tomorrow."

"No." Carlos said. They looked at him, slightly shocked at the determination in his voice. He had always been, so to say, the runt of their squad but now, he was not taking anyone's shit. "We still have a little time. We can hit Lady Tremaine's place and get the gossip she's heard about Jane or Samuel and then we can go to the hideout."

The group looked at each other, not knowing to agree or not. "Let's do it." Lonnie said. 

The group reluctantly agreed and went in the direction of the hair salon. They walked in silence, heads down and hands stuffed in their pockets. In just a little bit, they were at the salon and saw a figure on the front steps. Whoever it was was pacing and mumbling to themselves, running a hand through their hair. They turned and punched the wall in fury. In the fading light, they could just make out red and white streaks in ink black hair. Carlos felt his heart stop, recognizing those streaks anywhere. 

"Corinne?!"

To be continued...