Chapter 3

Neither Jane nor Carlos went back to their classes that day. Jane ran straight to her room and threw herself onto her bed in tears. Her mother would never realize how much she had just shattered Jane's heart. She couldn't be 'just friends' with Carlos. Not when her heart started racing at the mention of his name, when their hands perfectly together, when she never needed to doubt herself around him.

Lonnie opened the door to their dorm, completely unaware of the situation. "Hey Jane, you feeling..." she trailed off when she saw Jane on the bed, shaking with sobs. Lonnie quickly dropped her bag and rushed over to the half-fairy. "Oh God, Jane. What happened?" Jane shook her head and let out a sob. Lonnie pulled out her phone and dialed Mal's number. She paced the room while the phone rang.

"What's up, Lonnie?"

"Mal! I need you and Evie to come to my dorm like yesterday!" Lonnie said frantically.

"Woah, woah, woah. Easy, warrior. What's going on?"

"I have no idea!" Lonnie ran a hand through her hair. "Jane is here, sobbing, and she won't tell me what happened. I'm really worried about her."

She could hear shuffling on the other line. "Okay. We'll be there in 5 minutes."

The two hung up and Lonnie sat next to Jane on the bed. She rubbed the younger girl's back sympathetically, not knowing what else to do since she had no idea what brought this on. A few minutes later, Mal and Evie burst into the room. They knew the door would be open and that Jane needed them. They rushed over to the girl. "Jane, we're here to help." Evie said softly.

"But we can't help you unless you tell us what has you so worked up." Mal continued.

Jane sniffed and lifted her head slightly. All three girls' hearts shattered seeing the tear tracks on Jane's face. "My mom..." Their eyes widened. What had happened to Fairy Godmother? "My mom made Carlos break up with me."

Their jaws dropped. "What?" They all yelled in unison. A fresh wave of tears overcame Jane. Evie pulled her into a tight hug, stroking her hair soothingly. Mal placed a hand on her shoulder before speaking, "Okay. Jane, start from the beginning."

Jane lifted her head and wiped at a few tears. "My mom always wanted me to be with a prince so that I could improve my social standing and self-confidence. Even though you guys have helped me with both, she still wants me with a prince. She found out about me and Carlos and forbid us from being anything more than 'just friends'"

"But wouldn't Carlos fight back? He would want to still be with you." Lonnie argued.

Jane nodded. "He did at first but then he said he didn't want to come between me and my mother. So... he broke up with me."

Mal reached forward to take her hands but gasped when she saw the necklace Jane had on. "Jane... where did you get that necklace?"

Evie's eyes widened as well, seeing the tarnished silver crossbones on a chain, the symbol of the De Vil family. Jane cracked a small smile, clasping the charm in her hand. "Carlos gave it to me, saying it was a thank you for everything I'd done for him."

Lonnie let out an 'aww' while the two VKs stared in shock. "What? It's a sweet gesture." She defended.

"It's more than just a 'sweet gesture'." Mal said seriously. "That's his most prize possession."

Jane's eyes widened to the size of dinner plates. "H-his most prized possession?" She stuttered. Mal and Evie nodded. "If that's the case, I can't keep it. I need to give it back to him." She started reaching to take it off but Evie stopped her.

"If Carlos gave that to you," Mal started, "then he's telling you that you are his lifeline. The person he needs more than anything in the world."

Jane looked at the necklace with a shocked expression. "Why is that what it means?" She asked quietly.

"Because his other lifeline gave it to him." Evie said. Jane and Lonnie's eyes widened. She straightened up and began to explain, "Carlos... isn't Cruella's only child."

Jane and Lonnie let out small gasps. "But Carlos never mentioned a sibling." Jane argued, "And wouldn't Ben have brought over both?"

"Except Ben didn't know she existed." Mal said, "The records on the Isle are spotty at best. We're lucky Ben even had records of us, let alone if we had any siblings. But Cruella had two children, Carlos and Corinne, Carlos' twin sister."

"Carlos has a twin sister?" Jane questioned. The two VKs nodded. "Why didn't he tell me? Or anyone?"

"It was too painful for him to talk about her." Evie said, "He was forced to leave her behind to endure Cruella's torture alone." Jane's heart shattered for Carlos' sister that she didn't even know and how painful it must've been for Carlos to leave her. "You guys need to realize that we didn't become friends until Carlos and Corinne were 10. Until then, they were the only ones in each other's lives."

"They protected each other, took care of each other..." Mal sighed, "They were each other's lifelines. Especially when Cruella decided to be extra evil." Jane and Lonnie shuddered at the thought of what that might mean. "On their 13th birthday, Corinne had me design the necklace, Jay steal the materials, and Evie make it."

"Whenever the world got to much for them, they would look at the necklace and know they weren't alone." Evie finished, "He's been trying to get her to Auradon since the coronation. But with the Uma incident, it's been hard."

Jane nodded her head. Ben was working on a list of new VKs to possibly bring over but after the cotillion, he was slow in progress due to the public outrage. Jane fingered the charm. Carlos gave her his most prized possession? Did she really mean that much to him? Fresh tears sprung to her eyes at the thought of how much he cared for her.

Mal reached over and took both her hands in hers. Jane looked up and saw the purplette offering her a smile. She smiled back slightly. "What was Corinne like?" Lonnie asked.

Evie and Mal let out a little laugh. "She didn't have an evil bone in her body. She's like Carlos. Had to put on the facade in front of their mom, but without her, innocent and sweet. She is the kindest person you will ever meet."

Jane smiled. She wished she could do something for the siblings. Mal snorted. "The ironic part: she's a cat person." The girls let out laughs. "She loves animals but has always loved cats the most."

Evie sent Jane a reassuring smile. "She always made sure Carlos was at his happiest."

Mal squeezed the girl's hands. "And that's with you, Jane." Jane gave them a watery smile while Evie brushed a lock of hair out of her face and Lonnie placed a loving hand on her shoulder. "For you, Carlos, Corinne, and all of us, we're gonna find a way to get you two back together. I swear on my magic."

Jane's breath hitched. Everyone knew that when a fairy swore on her magic, the promise would never be broken.

To be continued...