Chapter 19

The next night at dinner, the group sat together in the courtyard. Doug and Carlos were on edge but Mal was smirking up a storm. No one had seen Evie or Jane all day. Both boys were both simultaneously nervous and excited. Mal smirking could be a good or bad thing. It was a 50/50 chance of either side.

"Okay, I'm done!" Doug said, dropping his fork and breaking the silence. He turned to Mal with pleading eyes. "Can you just give us a hint at what Evie and Jane are doing? I'm dying over here and I'm sure Carlos is too." Carlos nodded in agreement and the group turned to the purplette.

Mal let out a laugh. "Oh God, just you guys wait." She went back to her food, the smirk still on her lips.

A few moments later, Evie came skipping to the table as if she had just been with them all day. She sat down next to Doug and pecked him on the cheek. She simply smiled at the group and said nothing. "Well?" Carlos prompted, bringing Evie's attention onto him. "Are you gonna tell me where Jane is?"

Evie giggled. She simply smiled and held up three fingers. She silently counted down her fingers until a gasp sounded the second the last finger fell. Everyone in the courtyard turned their attention to a girl walking in. Carlos turned to look at her and felt his jaw drop. It was Jane but... different. She was wearing a dark turquoise long sleeved t-shirt with thumb-holes at the end, the silver crossbones glinting around her neck. The shirt was lightly splotched with black paint matching the black jean vest over the shirt. She had on black jeans leading to the black open toed stiletto heels on her feet. Her colored curls fell over her shoulders, showing off her sparkling blue eyes with a smoky look surrounding them. Every eye in the courtyard was turned to her but none had her attention except for Carlos. 

She walked with a confident stride but her eyes held a small spark of nervousness. She stood in front of him and slowly twirled in a circle, showing the entire outfit. "Do you like it?" She asked. 

Carlos shook himself out of his shock. "Jane, you look incredible." He said breathlessly. A slight blush tinted her cheeks and she smiled brightly at him. "Was this what took all day?"

"No," Evie answered, "What took all day was making the rest of her wardrobe."

"You had her make you a new wardrobe?" Carlos questioned. Jane nodded. "Why?"

"Because..." She hesitated. "Because I wanted a new Jane. One that wouldn't let what Samuel did to her destroy her life. One that doesn't want her insecurities and scars to dominate what she does. I did this for myself."

Carlos smiled slightly and leaned down to capture her lips. Jane felt her knees go weak as the familiar sparks ran through her. He pulled away slowly before whispering, "I love it. Just please don't change who you are. I still want the awkward, shy, naturally beautiful Jane I fell in love with."

She smiled at his concern. "I promise I won't." She pecked his lips once more. She wrapped her arms around his waist and pulled him into a tight hug, feeling her heart flutter as his arms wrapped around her. "Thank you for understanding." He kissed the top of her head.

"More VKs? Really, Ben?" A shrill voice came from behind them. They turned to see a girl with platinum blonde hair falling in waves over her shoulders and ice blue eyes. She wore a dark blue blazer over a snow white dress and ice blue heels. She had a snowflake pinning back her hair on one side and they all knew who this was. Emma, daughter of Jack Frost and Elsa. Unlike her parents, she didn't possess ice powers but everyone in school still knew her as 'the ice princess' because her heart was as cold as her mother's ice palace. Behind her stood her minions, her cousin Amanda, Anna and Kristoff's daughter, and Felicity, Rapunzel and Flynn's daughter. "It's bad enough the last one corrupted the fairy goddaughter. Though God knows, the school is better off without her." Carlos tightened his grip on Jane. "Now you brought over another De Vil and... who is this?"

Their eyes widened when she pointed to Jane, who still had her back turned to them. They were her biggest tormentors before the VKs arrived and they still hadn't completely backed off. With the colored hair and new clothes, they must not have recognized her. Jane lifted her head slightly. She looked to the group, knowing they would have her back no matter what. Mal and Lonnie gave her a nod, telling her to do what she decides. She looked at Carlos and he sent her a small smile. She felt her confidence growing as she smiled back.

Taking a deep breath, she turned to face the princess. "Hey, Emma." She said simply, crossing her arms over her chest.

The three girls' eyes widened when they set eyes on the girl. How was this girl Jane Godmother? "Jane?" Amanda questioned. Jane merely nodded with a smirk. She was finally getting the best of them. "I love the colors you picked for your hair. They're so..."

Emma cut her off with an elbow to the ribs. Amanda closed her mouth and shrunk into herself. Emma laughed a bit before turning her ice cold glare back onto Jane. "Look. I don't know what the hell you did to yourself, but it won't change anything." She said, matching Jane's posture. "You're still the plain little nobody who wouldn't have any friends beside your mother and Ben because you're just a worthless waste of space."

One or two of the VKs stood to respond to the princess but Jane held her hand up to stop them. "You know, if this was still freshman year, I would've believed you. I probably would've run out of here sobbing but now... now I'm done listening to you. I'm done believing all the bullshit you used to fill my head with. I have an amazing life. I have friends who are willing to face their own demons to help me." Jay and Mal fist bumped each other. "Who are willing to hold me while I cry" Lonnie, Ben, and Doug nodded at each other. "And who are willing to skip an entire day of classes just so that I could have a whole new wardrobe to make myself feel better." Evie smiled proudly at the girl. "And I have love. Not just from my mother, not just from my friends, but from the sweetest, funniest, most caring guy in the entire world who loves me for who I am no matter how I look or what I wear," She took a step closer to Emma. "Or what anyone else thinks of me. So, if you have to try and tear me down to make yourself feel better, I think it's you who's the nobody."

The room was all but silent after Jane's rant. No one had ever heard her talk like that to anyone. Without waiting for a response, Jane turned on her heel and walked out of the courtyard. Carlos looked to the group who nodded at his silent decision before he quickly followed Jane.

To be continued...