Chapter 1: Blood and red lights

⪼ S A P P H I R E

⪼ S A P P H I R E

People's greatest mistake is limiting themselves because fear told them to do so.

It's finally time wherein every student must gather together to witness and participate the last monthly evaluation that we experience every month to determine who would be given a chance to be play on the final battle—the Infernio Battle.

Enclosed in a large room with high ceiling, I sat on the right side of the sparring ground with my chin help up high and straightened back, sitting like a lady; prim and proper. The red lights were casting my features and turning my vision into a monochromatic one, just all shades of red.

I used to hate these red lights and everything red, but now I'm used to it. However, I like seeing that red fluid dropping from the contender's forehead—blood. 

"Is she loosing?" Bulong ni Ford at bahagya pang umusad palapit sa akin. I just shrugged my shoulders and continued watching. I squinted my eyes while reading her movements, she's all about defenses, she never attack. Gano'n pa lang ang ginagawa niya pero kitang-kita ko na agad ang pagod. Paano siya mananalo niyan? 

"What if tayo ang next pair?" This guy has so many questions like can he just shut his mouth and watch? If kami ang next pair, so what? I could easily beat his annoying ass right now if I want to. "Red days mo, girl?" He kidded when he saw me mentally throwing daggers at him. I said I hate his playful attitude because it might grow in me. Ayaw kong nasasanay ako sa mga bagay bagay.

Muli ko na lang tiningnan ang dalawang naglalaban sa loob ng ring.

A round for every pair only lasts for five minutes, within the given time one of the contenders must win in order to gain an additional grade to be added on the final grade. 

The first 20 students na makatatanggap ng pinakamataas na cumulative points sa bawat monthly evaluation, sila ang mapipiling isabak sa Infernio Battle. 

I'm confident to be a part of the line-up. I never fail a class here whether it's mental or physical test, I'm always above everyone.

Well, except for one.

When the two pair was done, Ford's instincts were right dahil kami na ang sunod na tinawag ng judge. We're the third pair to be called and there's still twenty-three pairs left. The other twenty-five, sila ang batch one, therefore tapos na sila kahapon at nakakahinga na ng maluwag ngayon.

Ford Hendrix is one of the boldest student in this institution. He's very famous for his merciless attacks. He's the type of fighter that would like to take the lead, unlike the girl earlier, Ford is about taking offenses.

He's fixing his bandana right now. Iyon yung bigay ko sa kaniya. No, actually kinuha niya lang pala 'yon sa akin and I left with no choice, mapilit 'yang si Ford.

While me, I was busy tying my hair. And the woman beside me was busy cheering for both parties and she's holding two bottled waters. She looks crazy and sounds funny. That's one of my... friend? I guess? The name's Hadley Farell. Tapos na siya sumabak kahapon at nandito lang siya para panuorin kami ni Ford.